Re: [IC-7000] Mobile Ops

Bob K <cbrxx98@...>

Wow..this post is like combing a story from my recent memory.

I have a 04 Honda CRV with the 2.4 VTEC engine....same as the Element.

Mine was doing the same thing. Only would drop out under higher power outputs.

I ran my power wires directly from the battery thinking that would solve any voltage draw problems.

The problem was the wire I used wouldn't carry the current under a 15-20 amp draw.....

So...I replaced the wire with a heavier version 10ga. No other changes at all.

Problem solved. Never has dropped out since under any load.

Run a heavier cale directly to battery and don't forget to fuse both leads AT the battery

with the heavier blade thpe fuses.......problem solved.

73 Bob w9eta

To: ic7000@...
From: henryf@...
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:52:30 -0400
Subject: [IC-7000] Mobile Ops

I am a longtime member of the group but very rarely post.

My IC-7000 is mounted in my 2007 Honda Element. The stock electrical
system on the Element is quite modest (a dispassionate observer might
characterize it as worthless). The engine compartment is the quite
crowded and the OEM size 51R battery only supplies 450 CCA. Receive
is fine but the rig would continually reboot when transmitting SSB if
the engine was not reving faster than appx 2000rpm.

I upgraded the battery to a 640CCA unit from Costco. If the engine
is running and the alternator is charging the battery, I can usually
transmit at full power. I still can't xmit at full power with the
rig powered solely from the battery. Again, receive is fine.

A search of the forums on the Element owners club website reveals
widespread disatisfaction with the native Honda electrical system.

So how are other mobile ops dealing with this? Am I alone? Any
other Element owners on the list?

Tnx

Henry
N5HF