Topics

PRM-85 Build

Bill Kotaska

I've had an inquiry about a small quantity of PRM-85 boards and am thinking about building another batch. Trying to get a feel for quantity. If you are interested in one and have not contacted me, let me know.
Thanks,
Bill

Chuck Harris

In case anyone cares, I bought one of the PRM-85 boards from
Bill and it works perfectly.

-Chuck Harris

Bill Kotaska wrote:

I've had an inquiry about a small quantity of PRM-85 boards and am thinking about
building another batch. Trying to get a feel for quantity. If you are interested
in one and have not contacted me, let me know. Thanks, Bill

Indeed, the PRM boards work perfectly and are a great value (vs. spending thousands it seems for all the included ROMs, if you can even find them).

For folks that may not know, there is an HP=86A/86B/87/87XM version available as well.

--bob

-----Original Message-----
From: hpseries80@groups.io [mailto:hpseries80@groups.io] On Behalf Of Chuck Harris
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2017 5:48 PM
To: hpseries80@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hpseries80] PRM-85 Build

In case anyone cares, I bought one of the PRM-85 boards from Bill and it works perfectly.

-Chuck Harris

Bill Kotaska wrote:
I've had an inquiry about a small quantity of PRM-85 boards and am
thinking about building another batch. Trying to get a feel for
quantity. If you are interested in one and have not contacted me, let
me know. Thanks, Bill

Floppy Days Podcast - Randy Kindig

Hi, Bill, I would be interested in one. 

Thanks

Randy

On Jun 2, 2017, at 2:55 PM, Bill Kotaska <bkotaska@...> wrote:

I've had an inquiry about a small quantity of PRM-85 boards and am thinking about building another batch. Trying to get a feel for quantity. If you are interested in one and have not contacted me, let me know.
Thanks,
Bill

--
Randy Kindig
host Floppy Days Podcast http://www.floppydays.com

I have one too and it's awesome. Particularly the EMS ROM feature lets you connect the 85A with the later SS80-based discs and tapes that only the 85B supported.

Jack Rubin

Bill,

I don't need any more boards, but I'd be very interested in learning more about the custom FPGA and 87 SuperROM you did a few years back. I thought I had saved the messages (from MOHPC?) but I can't seem to find them. The setup allowed use of more standard 87 ROMs and also included a couple user-contributed extended ROMs.

Would you produce another set?

Thanks,
Jack

On Jun 2, 2017, at 11:55, Bill Kotaska <bkotaska@...> wrote:

I just got my first HP85 a few weeks ago, so I would be interested in buying one of your boards.

My HP85 doesn't work yet, and I haven't begun to debug it seriously yet. There's a wiggly transformer on the power supply board and the unit is known to have been mishandled in shipment, so I'll start out looking at the power supply once the machine makes it onto my test bench. I took the multi-page scans of the HP85A schematics which I found in a manual scan online and spliced them back into single pages to make them easier to follow. I can share the PDF if anybody needs them.

Has anybody designed a 3D-printable case for it yet? If not, that might be a project I could take on.

-- 
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x@...>
http://www.nf6x.net/

Bill Kotaska

Jack,

From my records, I have produced the following EPLDs for the 86/87 PRM-85 (these are in addition to the standard one described in the User's Guide):

Variation 1 -
     232 (E8 Hex) Advanced Programming

240 (F0 Hex) Printer/Plotter
     177 (B1 Hex) Matrix II
     056 (38 Hex) SYSEXT
     231 (E7 Hex) Advanced Programming II
     176 (B0 Hex) Matrix
     192 (C0 Hex) Input/Output
     207 (CF Hex) Extended Mass Storage

Variation 2 -
     040 (28 Hex) Assembler
     224 (E0 Hex) Service - System
     225 (E1 Hex) Service - HPIB
     056 (38 Hex) SYSEXT
     176 (B0 Hex) Matrix

Variation 3 -
     040 (28 Hex) Assembler
     168 (A8 Hex) Forth
     056 (38 Hex) SYSEXT (Koppel)

231 (E7 Hex) Advanced Programming II 

039 (27 Hex) SYSEXT (Kaser)

I would be happy to create any of these when I gear up for the next build.

Thanks,
Bill

That would be a big 3D printer!

Mine came with the original travel case. You might want to have a look for one of those. 

On Jun 3, 2017, at 15:21, Mark J. Blair <nf6x@...> wrote:

On Jun 2, 2017, at 11:55, Bill Kotaska <bkotaska@...> wrote:

I just got my first HP85 a few weeks ago, so I would be interested in buying one of your boards.

My HP85 doesn't work yet, and I haven't begun to debug it seriously yet. There's a wiggly transformer on the power supply board and the unit is known to have been mishandled in shipment, so I'll start out looking at the power supply once the machine makes it onto my test bench. I took the multi-page scans of the HP85A schematics which I found in a manual scan online and spliced them back into single pages to make them easier to follow. I can share the PDF if anybody needs them.

Has anybody designed a 3D-printable case for it yet? If not, that might be a project I could take on.

-- 
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x@...>
http://www.nf6x.net/

On Jun 3, 2017, at 13:43, bownes <@komradebob> wrote:

I meant an enclosure for the PRM-85, not a case for the computer! :)

--
Mark J. Blair <@NF6X>
http://www.nf6x.net

;)

On Jun 3, 2017, at 17:13, Mark J. Blair <@NF6X> wrote:

On Jun 3, 2017, at 13:43, bownes <@komradebob> wrote:

I meant an enclosure for the PRM-85, not a case for the computer! :)

--
Mark J. Blair <@NF6X>
http://www.nf6x.net

Mark wrote...
Has anybody designed a 3D-printable case for it yet? If not, that
might be a project I could take on.
I've not heard of anyone doing that.

Everett

======================================================================
Everett Kaser Software Logic & Puzzle Games for computers
PO Box 403 http://www.kaser.com
Albany OR USA 97321-0117 Phone: 541-928-5259 8am-8pm PACIFIC TIME
======================================================================

Jack Rubin

Thanks Bill!

Would you consider a Variation 4 - similar to Variation 3 but substitute the printer/plotter ROM for Forth? If not, I'd like to order Variation 3 when you get into production.

Best,
Jack

Jack wrote:

Would you consider a Variation 4 - similar to Variation 3 but substitute the printer/plotter ROM for Forth? If not, I'd like to order Variation 3 when you get into production.
On the 86/87, the Printer ROM is already built-in, so for these machines there is only a dedicated Plotter ROM. If you’re not going to use a plotter, don’t bother with this ROM.

--bob

Jack Rubin

Excellent point, Bob, thanks for clarifying the built-in ROM situation. My rationale is that I _might_ want to drive a plotter; I'll _never_ use Forth. I've got nothing against the language (and certainly don't want to ignitethe usual flame war that tends to erupt about using it) but my occasional experiments with it have not been too successful and it's a bit late in the game for me wanting to push deeper. It's Bill's call - I'll be happy with either flavor.

Jack

Dave McGuire

On 06/03/2017 11:57 PM, Jack Rubin wrote:
My rationale is that I _might_ want to drive a plotter; I'll _never_ use
Forth. I've got nothing against the language (and certainly don't want
to ignitethe usual flame war that tends to erupt about using it)
HEATHEN!

[dave runs for cover]

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

Jack Rubin

QED, turkey!  :>)

Dave McGuire

On 06/04/2017 12:12 AM, Jack Rubin wrote:
QED, turkey! :>)
I resemble that remark! ;)

I love Forth. I recognize its shortcomings, but I can't help but love
it. :)

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

Jack Rubin

I feel much the same way about you, good buddy!
And I'm happy we both feel the same way about the HP (_not_ Agilent/Keysight) mother-ship that brought these  gifts!

Jack

Dave McGuire

:-)

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

On June 4, 2017 12:21:04 AM "Jack Rubin" <j@...> wrote:

I feel much the same way about you, good buddy!
And I'm happy we both feel the same way about the HP (_not_
Agilent/Keysight) mother-ship that brought these  gifts!

Jack