Yellow-headed Blackbird, Salem, NY

Scott Varney

Today, on my way home from work, I found a single adult female Yellow-headed Blackbird sitting on the telephone wires, 2 poles past Rexleigh Road while  heading North on Route 22 in Salem, NY.  This is within a quarter mile of the intersection of Rt 29 with Rt 22.  This is my 2nd of this species in southern Washington County.  The first was an adult male of the species at the Pember Nature Preserve.  It seems there has been a small influx of this species in the HMBC region this year

At Hudson Crossing today, I found 2 Blackpoll Warblers singing and flitting on large Cottonwood trees.

What a beautiful week it turned out to be!

Happy Friday,

Scott Varney
Salem, NY