White-winged Crossbills, Colonie- 1/16

trwdsd

We have an outdoor sound monitor (re-purposed baby monitor) here in Colonie to listen to bird sounds. Around 2:30 this afternoon we could hear an odd finch-sound from the yard. Went outside and tracked down a small flock of six White-winged Crossbills investigating cones in several of the pines. They flew off after a few minutes, but a separate male/female pair flew in about fifteen minutes later, making the same call. If you listen to the 0:34 second "calls" recording at allaboutbirds.org you will hear what we heard.    https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/White-winged_Crossbill/sounds

Enjoy the winter finch irruption!

Tom & Colleen Williams
Colonie