White-winged Crossbill, Salem

Scott Varney

While out in the yard this morning at 7:45 am (dog dooty time), I found a single White-winged Crossbill in my backyard.  I grabbed my bins and phone from the house and was able to get good looks at a very reddish-pink body with bold white wing bars. (Adult male!)  2 minutes later, It took flight and started calling loudly and clearly, heading south along Route 22 toward the Cambridge direction.  A yard-bird first!

I've been routinely checking the Salem Crabapple trees in hopes of finding Pine Grosbeaks, but none as of this post.

A group of 25-30 Pine Siskins have been hanging out on West Broadway/Route 30 near the intersection with Cemetary Road.

Happy Birding,

Scott Varney
Salem,  NY