Vischers Fery NHP Warblers

Susan

Walking from the Whipple Bridge to the intersection with the yellow left arrow sign, I went left/east and had a Wilson’s warbler loudly and repeatedly singing. Another birder had found two of them, a Blackpoll and a Canada in the same area. I did not, but I did have a Nashville.

Turning around and walking to the west on the grassy path along the swampy area, I was treated to a Mourning Warbler who popped into a bush six feet in front of me and began singing it’s burry sounding song.

On a tip from John H., I went to an area, beyond the spruce grove and just before all the fallen trees, that had multiple singing warblers. Merlin identified 8 species, and at first it was hard to pick them out due to all the background noise. Besides the warblers at least one or more Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Oriole, Catbird, Alder Flycatcher, and Red-eyed Vireo were singing. By listening for one specie's song at a time, I was able to identify the following: Bay-breasted, Blackburnian, Cape May, Black-and-white, Tennesee, Chestnut-sided.  I was unable to locate a Canada which had been identified by Merlin, but did pick up a Black-throated Green that Merlin didn’t hear. Magnolias were heard in two spots before the spruce grove. There were numerous, Redstarts, Yellow Warblers and Common Yellow throats, making for a total of 14 warbler species.

Susan Beaudoin

jhershey2

Adding to what Susan reported, as I was sitting on a log at Vischer Ferry listening to multiple bird songs, I kept thinking of William James' famous phrase "blooming, buzzing confusion". Looking at my notes and Merlin recordings I can report most of the same birds that Susan had.  I would add Northern Parula, Northern Waterthrush, and Canada Warbler; though I missed the Mourning and Nashville.  My favorite find was Yellow-bellied Flycatcher. When I play my recording back it is like Least Flycatcher but closer to "che-wink" than "che-bek".  My recorded graph looks like the Merlin YB graph as well.

John H.