Vischer Ferry Preserve

Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval@...>

I may have not actually seen anything new here today based on other checklists but after birding other parts of Saratoga County recently I have to say this was some of the best birding in the past few days. (Wilton trails are actually still so icy they are almost unwalkable.)

Waterfowl was most satisfying with plenty of courting Ring-necked Ducks, accompanied by 5 pairs of American Wigeon, two pairs Green-winged Teal, some Wood Ducks, 5 pairs Gadwall, and of course lots of Mallards and Black Ducks. Also found 2 drake Pintails and a hen by herself later. My fave was a tiny Pied-billed Grebe stretching its little wings as wide as it could. Canada Geese were also repeatedly trying to make upcoming goslings including one bird violently attacking another every time it attempted to mount a third bird (who seemed quite angry at the attacker).

I did find two singing male Rusty Blackbirds along with a female following one around. A Catbird quietly popped up by the bridge and a Winter Wren sang a whispered song about a mile down the west trail. Also found a few lingering Common Redpolls.

Lindsey D.