VFNHP this morning

gregg_recer

Cathy Graichen and I did a walk around Vischer Ferry preserve this morning, covering the loop between the main entrance road and Clute's dry dock entrance. Highlights included 1 male orchard oriole, many rose-breasted grosbeaks and baltimore orioles, calling common gallinule, and a pair of copulating virginia rails.  Through-migrants were again pretty sparse today, with numbers of yellow-rumped warblers, and a few bt green, bt blue, and no. waterthrush.

--
gregg recer
malta NY

Sue Rokos

We just got back from walking from the vischer ferry power plant to original lock 19 and back, found an indigo bunting, two ruby throated hummingbirds (not sure I have seen them.mentioned), three Baltimore Orioles way up high, an earful of cedar waxwings, and gross of rose breasted grosbeaks. We met a man who saw a juvenile night heron yesterday, but his camera on empty, noted the yellow legs. We looked but no luck.

Are the Dozers creating a new path to the river?

Sue Rokos

On Sun, May 9, 2021, 11:54 AM gregg_recer <gregg_recer@...> wrote:
Cathy Graichen and I did a walk around Vischer Ferry preserve this morning, covering the loop between the main entrance road and Clute's dry dock entrance. Highlights included 1 male orchard oriole, many rose-breasted grosbeaks and baltimore orioles, calling common gallinule, and a pair of copulating virginia rails.  Through-migrants were again pretty sparse today, with numbers of yellow-rumped warblers, and a few bt green, bt blue, and no. waterthrush.

--
gregg recer
malta NY

jhershey2

I too was at Vischer Ferry this morning but taking the western loop instead.  One highlight I should mention was seeing Julie's Hooded Merganser with a very regal-looking hairdo and 3 fledglings in tow - very fitting for Mother's Day.  I noticed the same dearth of passing-through migrant warblers but did hear many singing American Redstarts (FOY).  Finally I should mention that Gregg and Cathy's loop from the main entrance to Clute's Dry Dock is a walking route that is now possible because of the new bridge over the canal at the Clute's Dry Dock entrance.

John H.