Topics

Surf Scoter Cossayuna Lake

adir46er

This afternoon Robert and I saw an immature Surf Scoter on Cossayuna Lake in Washington County. The SUSC was associating with a small group of Bufflehead and was viewed (with spotting scope) from Little Troy Road, which is located on the west side of the lake about 2/3 of the way up if traveling CR 48 from south to north.

We didn’t realize just how infrequently this species has been reported in eBird in this county until we got home where we have reliable internet service.

Rita Reed
East Hoosick, NY

Andy Mason

Scoters seem to be about.  Thought the group might be interested in this report by Becky Gretton from Otsego Lake near Cooperstown a couple uf days ago.

Andy Mason

A friend messaged me that a Peregrine Falcon and a Black Scoter were at the north end of Otsego Lake.  I drove there, saw the Peregrine quickly and scoped the Scoter, which was diving underwater in avoidance of a pair of Bald Eagles that were circling and diving on it while a Common Loon floated nearby.  The Scoter came up, an Eagle grabbed it and floated in the water undoubtedly footing it, and after a minute or two of that it began swimming with the dead Scoter.  It swam for about 13 minutes, then stopped, flew into a tree with the other Bald and perched with wings hanging for a short while.  The Scoter carcass floated and was visited by a gull.  The wet Bald went back to the carcass, grabbed it and dragged it to a spit of land where it plucked the feathers, ate a good amount and flew off with it.
Becky Gretton

--
Becky Gretton
.