Songbird mystery disease

Heidi

Not sure if this has been addressed here. What are local bird experts’ opinions on whether we should take down our feeders?
ASAP?
Permanently for this year?

I have a sunflower seed feeder and a Hummingbird feeder, both new in May to replace aging ones.

I scrub both weekly or more but don’t want to be spreading anything. Should they come down?

I heard several dead songbirds were found on Peebles last week. Any connection?

Thanks

Heidi Klinowski
Troy/Brunswick

zach schwartz-weinstein

I haven’t seen reports that the disease has been detected in NY yet, but taking down your feeders for the summer at least seems like a good idea

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 6:45 PM Heidi <hocka1@...> wrote:
Not sure if this has been addressed here. What are local bird experts’ opinions on whether we should take down our feeders?
ASAP?
Permanently for this year?

I have a sunflower seed feeder and a Hummingbird feeder, both new in May to replace aging ones.

I scrub both weekly or more but don’t want to be spreading anything. Should they come down?

I heard several dead songbirds were found on Peebles last week. Any connection?

Thanks

Heidi Klinowski
Troy/Brunswick

Richard Guthrie

It looks like The disease was confined to the states south of us and has run its course. I suspect that it was related to the cicada hatch. There haven’t been reports of disease related deaths for several weeks. Indiana is now stating that it is okay to resume feeding the birds. But there is plenty of natural food out there. So the birds shouldn’t go hungry. Hummingbirds weren’t affected anyway. So I think it’s okay to continue feeding them.

On Aug 12, 2021, at 7:02 PM, zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw@...> wrote:

I haven’t seen reports that the disease has been detected in NY yet, but taking down your feeders for the summer at least seems like a good idea

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 6:45 PM Heidi <hocka1@...> wrote:
Not sure if this has been addressed here. What are local bird experts’ opinions on whether we should take down our feeders?
ASAP?
Permanently for this year?

I have a sunflower seed feeder and a Hummingbird feeder, both new in May to replace aging ones.

I scrub both weekly or more but don’t want to be spreading anything. Should they come down?

I heard several dead songbirds were found on Peebles last week. Any connection?

Thanks

Heidi Klinowski
Troy/Brunswick

Heidi

[...]