Topics

SNHP Snowshoe Hike Kestrel

Scott Varney

I just finished the 4 mile Wilkinson Trail at SNHP and what a glorious sunny, people-free day!  I got great looks at the most spectacularly vivid, fresh-feathered male American Kestrel from 20 feet away on a Wild Apple tree. This was my only sighting of this species all winter!  The blues and browns were absolutely stunning!

As I finished my hike, 2 Barred Owls started calling back and forth at 2:30 pm. 2 Common Ravens, lots of Blue Jay's, loads of American Tree Sparrows, Northern Juncos and a single Red-tailed Hawk rounded out this amazing visit!
What a fantastic place!

Scott Varney
Salem NY