Rufous Hummingbird - No

John Kent

I spent a couple of hours watching the feeders in hopes that the adult male Rufous Hummingbird that Daniel S. found and photographed in Delmar this morning (reported on eBird) would return. I had no luck. There were three Ruby-throated Hummingbirds visiting regularly.

John Kent

Selkirk

Jeffrey Schoonmaker

My wife told me earlier this morning (10 a.m.-ish?) that she watched a "different" hummingbird at our feeder as it spent a good long time drinking.  We get male and female Ruby-throats regularly, and she said this one was quite different.  She said it was "really brown."  After reading your posting, I shared it with her and asked her more questions.  Then I got Sibley's guide where the Rufous and Ruby-throat are side by side.  She immediately picked the Rufous out of the line-up!  

I wish she had found me outside - I'm so sorry I missed it.  I did mention that in the future she should get a photo!

Jeff Schoonmaker
Colonie

From: hmbirds@groups.io <hmbirds@groups.io> on behalf of John Kent <k2ent76@...>
Sent: Friday, August 5, 2022 10:37 AM
To: hmbirds@groups.io <hmbirds@groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] [hmbirds] Rufous Hummingbird - No

[External Email] This email originated from a source outside HVCC. Do not click any links or open any attachments unless you trust the sender and know the content is safe.

I spent a couple of hours watching the feeders in hopes that the adult
male Rufous Hummingbird that Daniel S. found and photographed in Delmar
this morning (reported on eBird) would return. I had no luck. There were
three Ruby-throated Hummingbirds visiting regularly.

John Kent

Selkirk