Topics

Red-shouldered Hawk VS Red-tailed Hawk in Fort Ann, NY

Scott Varney

Went to visit my friend's 1200 acre property in Fort Ann, NY today and immediately upon starting my 4.5 mile hike around the lake, I was greeted with a very raucous air battle between an adult Red-shouldered Hawk and a Red-tailed Hawk...stunning low altitude views of both birds. Ultimately, the Red-tailed Hawk settled into a large Maple Tree perch and the Red-shouldered left screaming....and then came back immediately upon seeing the Red-tailed off his perch!  I'm pretty sure the Red-shouldered Hawk won the duel.  He continuously screamed for 5 more minutes after winning to make sure that every organism on the 1200 acre property would understand his position in the food chain!  So much fun!

By the way, I was searching for Hellbenders (aquatic salamander) but with no luck!

Only place I've ever seen one IN MY LIFE!

Scott Varney
Salem, NY