From: Jeff Nadler <jeffnadler01@...>
Date: 10/23/20 7:44 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: hmbirds@groups.io
Subject: [hmbirds] Red-headed woodpecker

A red-headed woodpecker landed on a tree trunk as I drove by on Route 32 about a half mile west of the southern access And parking are to Saratoga National Historical Park.  In addition to the large red area, the white patches on black wings were clearly visible.  The lack of road shoulders and traffic made it unsafe to pull over so I turned around and parked on a side road. I did stay long to relocate the bird.

Thanks,
Jeff Nadler
Jeffnadler01@...

Lindsey Duval

I just sat at the top of Durham Rd for 5 minutes and listened and looked around but nothing. It's an awkward spot in front of a house and right next to their mailbox and 32 there is really bad.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020, 11:50 AM Christopher J. McCarthy via groups.io <mccdelmar=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Any further sightings?

Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos etc.!

A red-headed woodpecker landed on a tree trunk as I drove by on Route 32 about a half mile west of the southern access And parking are to Saratoga National Historical Park.  In addition to the large red area, the white patches on black wings were clearly visible.  The lack of road shoulders and traffic made it unsafe to pull over so I turned around and parked on a side road. I did stay long to relocate the bird.

Thanks,
Jeff Nadler
Jeffnadler01@...

Susan

I spent an hour looking unsuccessfully for it yesterday. I parked at the south entrance  to the National Park and walked west. On the north side of 32, near Durham road is an access gate to SNHP land that leads to a horse/XC ski trail. I walked this trail. There were several dead trees along it and think  it would be a good area for further search. The same trail can also be accessed from the top of the gravel road leading to the park loop road.   If you could manage to park near, but not blocking, the access gate, it would be a shorter walk to the area Jeff saw the bird.
Susan Beaudoin