Red Crossbills, Snow Buntings. eBird Report - Hans Creek/Glenwild Rds, Jan 21, 2022

Ronald Harrower

´╗┐Hans Creek/Glenwild Rds, Saratoga, New York, US
Jan 21, 2022 10:40 AM - 11:05 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: John H and I did the frozen tundra tour of Fox Hill Rd, going by Lake Sacandaga and up into the wilds of Providence. With temperatures in the single digits and a light breeze, we stopped at the intersection of Hans Creek Rd and Glenwild Rd in Providence. As we started walking, John noted birds moving in the top of a pine not too far off. As I had the camera he asked me to take photos. I am glad I did as they turned out to be at least 4 Red Crossbills, kind of our goal for the days. We also saw a flock of at least 20 Snow Buntings. A small flock of 5 tiny green finches flew by but we couldn't get a handle on their ID.
6 species (+1 other taxa)

Blue Jay 4
American Crow 2
Common Raven 2
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
Red Crossbill 4
finch sp. 5 Small, green finches. Perhaps Goldfinches or Siskins
Snow Bunting 20 The small flock flew up the road ahead of us and was jumpy as we approached the end of the road, so we stopped

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S101187931