Red Crossbills, Salem, NY

Scott Varney

I came home from work today and in the lower level of deciduous trees along my driveway, I found a group of Red Crossbills flitting between these trees and 2 very tall Eastern White Pine trees.  The group of birds made their presence known with continuous vocalizations for about 6 minutes.  So nice to be able to list them as a "Yard Bird".

Also, at Hudson Crossing today at 11:00 am, there was a group of 12-15 Common Redpolls in the shrubbery along the parking lot.  They've been hanging out here for at least a week now.

A group of approximately 20 Snow Buntings has been hanging out along the fields and roadside on Cemetary Road in Salem.

I'm a bit bummed by the relatively low number of sightings of Bald Eagles along the Battenkill River this year.  Since I moved here 5 years ago, I've sighted at least 1 Bald Eagle every day from Dec 15-March 15....this year has proven to be the exception.

Scott Varney
Salem, NY

Tom Lake <trlake7@...>

Hi Scott.... Love your plethora of winter finches.

Lack of eagle on the Battenkill may be the result of ice. (It may be, but we have learned to be careful trying to look inside the motives of eagles.)

Many of the flyway's winter eagles are down here (there was 100 in just a 20-mile reach of the lower Hudson River today).
Climate Change has given us relatively mild winters and during those wintering eagles need not travel so far to find consistently open water.

Keep us updated.... TOM

Tom Lake
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
Estuary Naturalist, Region 3, Hudson River Estuary Program
with New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission
21 South Putt Corners Road New Paltz NY 12561—1696
trlake7@...