Topics

Question about Wilson's Snipe

ConserveBirds

I have several areas in my BBA blocks that look like good habitat for snipe.  Does anyone have any idea what time of day they start displaying?  I would assume after sunset like woodcock, but…?  I have seen them feeding during the day but have never seen courtship displays.

Mona Bearor

South Glens Falls

Lindsey Duval

The best chance of getting them displaying is very early in the morning around or before sunrise, or just after sunset (I've helped grad students with snipe surveys and found myself standing in cold swamps and marshes just before sunset and up to almost two hours after and that's when they became most active for displaying purposes).

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020, 11:10 AM ConserveBirds <conservebirds@...> wrote:

I have several areas in my BBA blocks that look like good habitat for snipe.  Does anyone have any idea what time of day they start displaying?  I would assume after sunset like woodcock, but…?  I have seen them feeding during the day but have never seen courtship displays.

Mona Bearor

South Glens Falls

ConserveBirds

Thanks, Lindsey.  Cold and wet is how I’ve been a lot lately so no problem there!

Mona

The best chance of getting them displaying is very early in the morning around or before sunrise, or just after sunset (I've helped grad students with snipe surveys and found myself standing in cold swamps and marshes just before sunset and up to almost two hours after and that's when they became most active for displaying purposes).

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020, 11:10 AM ConserveBirds <conservebirds@...> wrote:

I have several areas in my BBA blocks that look like good habitat for snipe.  Does anyone have any idea what time of day they start displaying?  I would assume after sunset like woodcock, but…?  I have seen them feeding during the day but have never seen courtship displays.

Mona Bearor

South Glens Falls

Alan Mapes

Hi Mona - I remember having them doing their flights at Black Creek Marsh in the early to mid-morning.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 11:10 AM ConserveBirds <conservebirds@...> wrote:

I have several areas in my BBA blocks that look like good habitat for snipe.  Does anyone have any idea what time of day they start displaying?  I would assume after sunset like woodcock, but…?  I have seen them feeding during the day but have never seen courtship displays.

Mona Bearor

South Glens Falls

scottjstoner

Mona, agree with the early morning, but have also had them early evening, when out looking for woodcock flights