Topics

Orchard Oriole Pair eBird Report - Saratoga National Historical Park, Aug 10, 2020

Ronald Harrower

´╗┐Saratoga National Historical Park, Saratoga, New York, US
Aug 10, 2020 8:16 AM - 12:11 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.8 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: I did my exercise walk as soon as I arrived for half an hour, listening for birds and seeing some (like 32 American Robins on the road and verges. I then switched footwear, picked up my birding stuff and camera and headed off on Wilkerson Trail. I walked to Stop 6, looked around there and came back on a different side trail to main Wilkerson Trail. The highlight of the walk was a pair of Orchard Orioles in a group of 3 trees and bushes near where Wilkerson Trail is at the bottom of the hill from Visitor Center and a small trail comes in from side road that connects. to Rte 4. The male is molting, giving him a splotchy appearance. The female looks the same. I heard a Yellow-billed Cuckoo near the woods as heard from cannons at stop 6. Very hot day, so birds were relatively slowed down as was I.
26 species

Mourning Dove 5
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1 Doing "galloping'call near the margin of the woods and fields at stop 6.
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Downy Woodpecker 2
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
Eastern Phoebe 8 Two near Visitor Center and 6 in a tree at the edge of a trail around battle signs at stop 6.
Eastern Kingbird 5 Including three at stop 6 in a tree where a parent bird was feeding an immature bird.
Blue Jay 7
American Crow 5
Black-capped Chickadee 1
Tree Swallow 17
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
House Wren 1
Carolina Wren 1 Heard near start of tour road at beginning of fast walk.
Gray Catbird 3
Eastern Bluebird 3
American Robin 39 including the aforementioned 32 on tour road when I was exercise walking
Cedar Waxwing 6
American Goldfinch 45 All over
Chipping Sparrow 3 Near visitor center
Field Sparrow 9 Mostly hear, one seen singing
Song Sparrow 1
Eastern Towhee 7
Orchard Oriole 2 Going between three trees as mentioned in opening comments
Common Yellowthroat 2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S72300582