October Big Day in Albany County

Cynthia Edwardson

Chris and I  enjoyed birding several locations in Albany County yesterday to participate in Cornell's Global Big Day. We had never been to Westland Hills Park in Albany so we stopped there late in the day. It was surprisingly birdy by the Community Gardens with lots of sparrows bopping about. In the fading light of day, we saw an immature white-crowned sparrow, field sparrow, and Lincoln's sparrow, along with song and white-throated sparrows.  We located another Lincoln sparrow yesterday with countless white-throats and a couple of song sparrows along the river bank at Phillipin Kill Preserve in Delmar. Yellow-rumps and cedar waxwings were everywhere!

An unexpected mammal sighting, in a small pond at Pine Hollow Arboretum in Slingerlands, was a River Otter pair.

Cindy Edwardson
Albany, NY