[NNYBirds] Anyone out there???

kernscot

Good points about Covid reducing birding and eBird being a priority for reporting instead of posting to the listservs. I confess I am guilty of both. The doubling of gas prices doesn't help my travels either.

Nancy Kern

From: NNYBirds@groups.io <NNYBirds@groups.io> on behalf of Will Raup <Hoaryredpoll@...>
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2022 2:21 PM
To: NNYBirds@groups.io <NNYBirds@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [NNYBirds] Anyone out there???

Also with Covid people have been traveling less and staying closer to home, so you haven't been getting the reports of those of us like Mr. Alden who live on the periphery of the Region.

Will Raup
Glenmont. NY

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 1/24/22 2:14 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: NNYBirds@groups.io

I seldom bird in the North Country but like to see what’s to the north of me here in HMbirds (Hudson-Mohawk Bird Club) territory.  I see the lack of posting occurring in HMbirds as well as other bird chats.  I think it has to do with people posting their sightings to eBird and getting all their birding targets from rare bird notifications.  By doing so, these chats get bypassed.  It doesn’t take a lot to post your lists to eBird and also drop a line with details or highlights to the chats.  Unfortunately, it seems that this is fast becoming old fashioned.

Larry Alden

From: NNYBirds@groups.io <NNYBirds@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dana Rohleder
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2022 1:52 PM
Subject: [Special] [NNYBirds] Anyone out there???

Getting pretty lonely here. Over the last 6 months, only about 130 messages, and 2/3 of them are mine! Is no one birding? No feeders up? No questions?

NNYBirds has a membership over 500 people, but very few contribute to the community. If you see something interesting or do some birding, post it here - even if you DON'T see anything. These posts allow members to know what is and isn't going on. Otherwise, this group is going to dry up and blow away. Let us know who is out there birding!!
--
Dana Rohleder - Owner/Moderator
Port Kent, NY

scottjstoner

I think a lot of it is the use of other communication systems such as WhatsApp and Facebook; HMBIRDS has a much wider reach than a local WhatsApp group but postings on HMBIRDS is way down. The WhatsApp group was started to provide faster sharing of sightings when there were technical issues several years ago that delayed posts on HMBIRDS. Those issues have been overcome. I urge all birders to please ALSO post on the list serves even if they share info via other means. Thanks so much -Scott Stoner, Loudonville (Albany). 

Date: 1/24/22 14:53 (GMT-05:00)
To: HMBirds <hmbirds@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [hmbirds] [NNYBirds] Anyone out there???

Good points about Covid reducing birding and eBird being a priority for reporting instead of posting to the listservs. I confess I am guilty of both. The doubling of gas prices doesn't help my travels either.

Nancy Kern

From: NNYBirds@groups.io <NNYBirds@groups.io> on behalf of Will Raup <Hoaryredpoll@...>

Also with Covid people have been traveling less and staying closer to home, so you haven't been getting the reports of those of us like Mr. Alden who live on the periphery of the Region.

Will Raup
Glenmont. NY

I seldom bird in the North Country but like to see what’s to the north of me here in HMbirds (Hudson-Mohawk Bird Club) territory.  I see the lack of posting occurring in HMbirds as well as other bird chats.  I think it has to do with people posting their sightings to eBird and getting all their birding targets from rare bird notifications.  By doing so, these chats get bypassed.  It doesn’t take a lot to post your lists to eBird and also drop a line with details or highlights to the chats.  Unfortunately, it seems that this is fast becoming old fashioned.

Larry Alden

Getting pretty lonely here. Over the last 6 months, only about 130 messages, and 2/3 of them are mine! Is no one birding? No feeders up? No questions?

NNYBirds has a membership over 500 people, but very few contribute to the community. If you see something interesting or do some birding, post it here - even if you DON'T see anything. These posts allow members to know what is and isn't going on. Otherwise, this group is going to dry up and blow away. Let us know who is out there birding!!
--
Port Kent, NY

Larry & Penny Alden

While this discussion was put on NNYBirds, it is pertinent to this group, also. 

In response to Scott’s post, I don’t fault any of the people in the WhatsApp group.  But since I’m not a “chaser” and am not taking part in the annual local big year competition, I don’t see the need to subscribe to the WhatsApp group (or Facebook for that matter!)  To be honest, I view the WhatsApp group a little negatively because I can perceive of it as an elitist group. PLEASE DON’T TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY, because I know many of the birders (maybe even most of you) who I think are in the WhatsApp group (it becomes pretty apparent when I start getting multiple eBird notifications from the same people when a rarity shows up) and they are ALL open and sharing birders who I’m certain don’t think of themselves as elitist.  Nor would they want to be thought of as elitist by others. 

Not all of you do this, but by skipping the rest of us and not posting to HMBirds when you find an unusual bird, or one at an unusual time or place, or a first-of year, or an unusual number of individuals, or a general observation, we feel left out.  We don’t need to see every eBird list you put out, but please glean the interesting bits and post them on HMBirds.

Larry Alden

From: hmbirds@groups.io <hmbirds@groups.io> On Behalf Of scottjstoner via groups.io
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2022 3:10 PM
To: kernscot <kernscot@...>; HMBirds <hmbirds@groups.io>

I think a lot of it is the use of other communication systems such as WhatsApp and Facebook; HMBIRDS has a much wider reach than a local WhatsApp group but postings on HMBIRDS is way down. The WhatsApp group was started to provide faster sharing of sightings when there were technical issues several years ago that delayed posts on HMBIRDS. Those issues have been overcome. I urge all birders to please ALSO post on the list serves even if they share info via other means. Thanks so much -Scott Stoner, Loudonville (Albany). 

Date: 1/24/22 14:53 (GMT-05:00)

To: HMBirds <hmbirds@groups.io>

Nancy Kern

Will Raup

Glenmont. NY

Larry Alden

--
Port Kent, NY

trwdsd

The trend line is clear and unmistakable. The number of messages posted to HMBirds peaked in 2014, and has headed downward ever since. Coincident to that timeline has been the extraordinary increase in the use of eBird, the 800lb gorilla (* fact-check: gorillas do NOT weigh 800 pounds, most of them half that or less) in the birding arena. More precisely, the Ebird mobile app for smartphones. As in most facets of life these days, our smartphones have, like it or not, become an indispensable tool for birders. The efficiencies of being able to create a checklist in the field while birding, then submit it to a database with tabulated personal sightings, is compelling, and also sidelines many of the "old ways" of collecting, reporting and disseminating data. Field guides stay in the confines of the vehicle's back seat, replaced by ID and information apps. Some folks still use pen and paper, call each other on their phones (that's right, not TEXT!), and wait for hard copy newsletters and magazines to arrive in their mailbox. If that suits you, then sally forth. Just don't be mad as the cloud of dust envelops you. 

Having said all that, as the NYSOA Kingbird editor for Region 8, I'd implore people to continue to report to the listserves. The eBird numbers are available to us in dry, overstuffed spreadsheets, but I enjoy farming the listserves for tales of birding, stories, flavor. And who doesn't respond positively to a well-written report of a day in the field? There is value to going the extra mile, especially if you've seen a rare bird, or an unusual behavior, or an out-of-place/out-of-season species. In the end, isn't the most fundamental aspect of our 'hobby' to say to other like-minded individuals, " Hey, look at what I saw!" So let us know what's going on. I'm taking this as a reminder, again.

As far as the WhatsApp group is concerned, it has 88 elite members (sarcasm) from both the local and statewide vicinity. It exists (or should, IMO) to act as a way to broadcast real-time reports of rare bird sightings to all subscribers at once. The somewhat recent practice of having a 'birding hotline' where users could make a phone call and listen to a recorded message summarizing 'recent' sightings that were days or weeks old now seems almost comical. Ah, progress. Anyone can join, we don't have a secret handshake or anything like that (don't have t-shirts either, need to talk to Rich about that). It is just a nimble way to spread the word when it is required. Perhaps Rich Guthrie, the administrator of the group, will read this thread and chime in with details. 

Enjoy birding, I'm going outside to listen for owls. I'll post here if I hear anything. 

Tom Williams 
Colonie

lidcr2

We live 1 1/2 hrs. away (west) of Albany area. We do a lot of local birding but also travel further a few times a week such as FT. Edwards, recently went to Ulster County for the Mountain Bluebird, Deposit N.Y., Peebles Island area. We be happy to post our trips if there is an interest on HMbirds.
Randy Lynch

On Monday, January 24, 2022, 06:29:43 PM EST, trwdsd via groups.io <trwdsd@...> wrote:

The trend line is clear and unmistakable. The number of messages posted to HMBirds peaked in 2014, and has headed downward ever since. Coincident to that timeline has been the extraordinary increase in the use of eBird, the 800lb gorilla (* fact-check: gorillas do NOT weigh 800 pounds, most of them half that or less) in the birding arena. More precisely, the Ebird mobile app for smartphones. As in most facets of life these days, our smartphones have, like it or not, become an indispensable tool for birders. The efficiencies of being able to create a checklist in the field while birding, then submit it to a database with tabulated personal sightings, is compelling, and also sidelines many of the "old ways" of collecting, reporting and disseminating data. Field guides stay in the confines of the vehicle's back seat, replaced by ID and information apps. Some folks still use pen and paper, call each other on their phones (that's right, not TEXT!), and wait for hard copy newsletters and magazines to arrive in their mailbox. If that suits you, then sally forth. Just don't be mad as the cloud of dust envelops you. 

Having said all that, as the NYSOA Kingbird editor for Region 8, I'd implore people to continue to report to the listserves. The eBird numbers are available to us in dry, overstuffed spreadsheets, but I enjoy farming the listserves for tales of birding, stories, flavor. And who doesn't respond positively to a well-written report of a day in the field? There is value to going the extra mile, especially if you've seen a rare bird, or an unusual behavior, or an out-of-place/out-of-season species. In the end, isn't the most fundamental aspect of our 'hobby' to say to other like-minded individuals, " Hey, look at what I saw!" So let us know what's going on. I'm taking this as a reminder, again.

As far as the WhatsApp group is concerned, it has 88 elite members (sarcasm) from both the local and statewide vicinity. It exists (or should, IMO) to act as a way to broadcast real-time reports of rare bird sightings to all subscribers at once. The somewhat recent practice of having a 'birding hotline' where users could make a phone call and listen to a recorded message summarizing 'recent' sightings that were days or weeks old now seems almost comical. Ah, progress. Anyone can join, we don't have a secret handshake or anything like that (don't have t-shirts either, need to talk to Rich about that). It is just a nimble way to spread the word when it is required. Perhaps Rich Guthrie, the administrator of the group, will read this thread and chime in with details. 

Enjoy birding, I'm going outside to listen for owls. I'll post here if I hear anything. 

Tom Williams 
Colonie