Nighthawks

BERNARD GROSSMAN

We used to see Nighthawks flying above downtown Schenectady in the '70s and '80s. Chris used to see them when she taught night school at SCCC. One theory for their disappearance from the downtown was the slow conversion away for gravel covered flat roofs on the buildings to rubber membranes, which weren't as hospitable for roosting/nesting.

Ron

When I was a kid growing up in Indiana we saw and heard Nighthawks during every night baseball game. Everyone called them Ballbats, back then. 😂

On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 4:19 PM BERNARD GROSSMAN <bgrossman4@...> wrote:
We used to see Nighthawks flying above downtown Schenectady in the '70s and '80s. Chris used to see them when she taught night school at SCCC. One theory for their disappearance from the downtown was the slow conversion away for gravel covered flat roofs on the buildings to rubber membranes, which weren't as hospitable for roosting/nesting.

Richard Guthrie

Continuing the thread and another thought: We could reliably count on nighthawks to wrap up our Century Run by going to Congress Park in Saratoga Springs right after dark. And I used to take the kids down to Coxsackie to see the nighthawks there. Always came through.

My thinking is that the proliferation of higher intensity night lights led to the demise of nocturnal flying insects including the large moths which were the mainstay for nighthawks and whip poor wills.

On May 22, 2021, at 4:19 PM, BERNARD GROSSMAN <bgrossman4@comcast.net> wrote:

We used to see Nighthawks flying above downtown Schenectady in the '70s and '80s. Chris used to see them when she taught night school

scottjstoner

continuing this theme...similarly in central Iowa, they were a constant presence on summer evenings circa 1980, flying low, calling, over the outdoor athletics courts at dusk. Scott Stoner, Loudonville

When I was a kid growing up in Indiana we saw and heard Nighthawks during every night baseball game. Everyone called them Ballbats, back then. 😂
On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 4:19 PM BERNARD GROSSMAN <bgrossman4@...> wrote:
We used to see Nighthawks flying above downtown Schenectady in the '70s and '80s. Chris used to see them when she taught night school at SCCC. One theory for their disappearance from the downtown was the slow conversion away for gravel covered flat roofs on the buildings to rubber membranes, which weren't as hospitable for roosting/nesting.

Robert S Pastel

Sounds like a good topic for a doctoral dissertation

Robert S. Pastel