Nighthawk

Jeffrey Schoonmaker

Something's going on with Common Nighthawks.  One just flew over my yard in Colonie!  I live near the intersection of Fuller Rd. and Central Ave.  One was reported earlier by a group member elsewhere.  Seems unusual.  I never expect them until August, but they must migrate in the Spring also, right?

Jeff

Scott Varney

I observed 3 of them in Salem 2 evenings ago right over the village near the intersection of Rt 22 and West Broadway (feeding on insects above the US Post Office).  I also typically dont see them until Fall migration. I think you are on to something!

Scott Varney
Salem, NY

On Fri, May 21, 2021, 5:27 PM Jeffrey Schoonmaker <j.schoonmaker@...> wrote:
Something's going on with Common Nighthawks.  One just flew over my yard in Colonie!  I live near the intersection of Fuller Rd. and Central Ave.  One was reported earlier by a group member elsewhere.  Seems unusual.  I never expect them until August, but they must migrate in the Spring also, right?

Jeff

Richard Guthrie

Although much fewer than years ago, Nighthawks regularly migrate through our area each spring.  It used to be that they nested in our city downtown areas. That’s not happening anymore. But a few do pass through on their way to the north.

Rich Guthrie

On May 21, 2021, at 5:43 PM, Scott Varney <scottvarney1968@...> wrote:

I observed 3 of them in Salem 2 evenings ago right over the village near the intersection of Rt 22 and West Broadway (feeding on insects above the US Post Office).  I also typically dont see them until Fall migration. I think you are on to something!

Scott Varney
Salem, NY

On Fri, May 21, 2021, 5:27 PM Jeffrey Schoonmaker <j.schoonmaker@...> wrote:
Something's going on with Common Nighthawks.  One just flew over my yard in Colonie!  I live near the intersection of Fuller Rd. and Central Ave.  One was reported earlier by a group member elsewhere.  Seems unusual.  I never expect them until August, but they must migrate in the Spring also, right?

Jeff

scottjstoner

several years ago (and Gregg R and Cathy G would have the exact details) we had them in the evening at Blockhouse Park in Stillwater on Century Run -Scott Stoner, Loudonville

[...]

gregg_recer

fwiw, Scott S's referring to Century Run day, 21 May, 2016. We also have a record in May from Vischer Ferry in 2003. Pretty sparse, but supports what Rich was saying.  Overall, we have many more spring/early summer records from travels to other parts of the country, mainly south and midwest.

--
gregg recer
malta NY

Alan

In the late 1950s to early 1970s we visited my grandmother in Keene, NH, often. She lived close to the center of Keene for many of those years and I often walked around the area in the early evening. I loved hearing the Nighthawks.I don't see or hear them often now, but they always evoke memories of Keene.

Clear skies, Alan
Glenville

rob snell

In the 70’s several nighthawks nested on the tops of houses in the Stockade area of Schenectady. I remember admiring their beeps when I came back from bar hopping.

Rob

On May 22, 2021, at 8:10 AM, Alan <adfrench@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

In the late 1950s to early 1970s we visited my grandmother in Keene, NH, often. She lived close to the center of Keene for many of those years and I often walked around the area in the early evening. I loved hearing the Nighthawks.I don't see or hear them often now, but they always evoke memories of Keene.

Clear skies, Alan
Glenville

Mark Silo

I played a lot of evening softball games on the SUNY Albany campus in the late 1970s. The sky was full of circling nighthawks.

On May 22, 2021, at 11:24 AM, rob snell via groups.io <snell.rob=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

In the 70’s several nighthawks nested on the tops of houses in the Stockade area of Schenectady. I remember admiring their beeps when I came back from bar hopping.

Rob
On May 22, 2021, at 8:10 AM, Alan <adfrench@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

In the late 1950s to early 1970s we visited my grandmother in Keene, NH, often. She lived close to the center of Keene for many of those years and I often walked around the area in the early evening. I loved hearing the Nighthawks.I don't see or hear them often now, but they always evoke memories of Keene.

Clear skies, Alan
Glenville

Weiskotten, Kurt

Yesterday, 5/21, I had several (half dozen - one or two at a time) Nighthawks at various times of the day, flying over the house in Belleview section of Schenectady, calling repeatedly.

Kurt Weiskotten, M.S.
d 518.898.9553