Nighthawk

Jeffrey Schoonmaker

Something's going on with Common Nighthawks.  One just flew over my yard in Colonie!  I live near the intersection of Fuller Rd. and Central Ave.  One was reported earlier by a group member elsewhere.  Seems unusual.  I never expect them until August, but they must migrate in the Spring also, right?

Jeff

Scott Varney

I observed 3 of them in Salem 2 evenings ago right over the village near the intersection of Rt 22 and West Broadway (feeding on insects above the US Post Office).  I also typically dont see them until Fall migration. I think you are on to something!

Scott Varney
Salem, NY

On Fri, May 21, 2021, 5:27 PM Jeffrey Schoonmaker <j.schoonmaker@...> wrote:
Something's going on with Common Nighthawks.  One just flew over my yard in Colonie!  I live near the intersection of Fuller Rd. and Central Ave.  One was reported earlier by a group member elsewhere.  Seems unusual.  I never expect them until August, but they must migrate in the Spring also, right?

Jeff

Richard Guthrie

Although much fewer than years ago, Nighthawks regularly migrate through our area each spring.  It used to be that they nested in our city downtown areas. That’s not happening anymore. But a few do pass through on their way to the north. 

Rich Guthrie 

On May 21, 2021, at 5:43 PM, Scott Varney <scottvarney1968@...> wrote:

I observed 3 of them in Salem 2 evenings ago right over the village near the intersection of Rt 22 and West Broadway (feeding on insects above the US Post Office).  I also typically dont see them until Fall migration. I think you are on to something!

Scott Varney
Salem, NY

Jeff

scottjstoner

several years ago (and Gregg R and Cathy G would have the exact details) we had them in the evening at Blockhouse Park in Stillwater on Century Run -Scott Stoner, Loudonville

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 5/21/21 18:41 (GMT-05:00)
To: Scott Varney <scottvarney1968@...>
Cc: Jeffrey Schoonmaker <j.schoonmaker@...>, HMBirds <hmbirds@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [hmbirds] Nighthawk

Although much fewer than years ago, Nighthawks regularly migrate through our area each spring.  It used to be that they nested in our city downtown areas. That’s not happening anymore. But a few do pass through on their way to the north. 

Rich Guthrie 

On May 21, 2021, at 5:43 PM, Scott Varney <scottvarney1968@...> wrote:

Scott Varney
Salem, NY

Jeff

gregg_recer

fwiw, Scott S's referring to Century Run day, 21 May, 2016. We also have a record in May from Vischer Ferry in 2003. Pretty sparse, but supports what Rich was saying.  Overall, we have many more spring/early summer records from travels to other parts of the country, mainly south and midwest.

--
gregg recer
malta NY

Alan

In the late 1950s to early 1970s we visited my grandmother in Keene, NH, often. She lived close to the center of Keene for many of those years and I often walked around the area in the early evening. I loved hearing the Nighthawks.I don't see or hear them often now, but they always evoke memories of Keene.

Clear skies, Alan
Glenville

rob snell

In the 70’s several nighthawks nested on the tops of houses in the Stockade area of Schenectady. I remember admiring their beeps when I came back from bar hopping.

Rob

On May 22, 2021, at 8:10 AM, Alan <adfrench@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

In the late 1950s to early 1970s we visited my grandmother in Keene, NH, often. She lived close to the center of Keene for many of those years and I often walked around the area in the early evening. I loved hearing the Nighthawks.I don't see or hear them often now, but they always evoke memories of Keene.

Clear skies, Alan
Glenville

Mark Silo

I played a lot of evening softball games on the SUNY Albany campus in the late 1970s. The sky was full of circling nighthawks.

On May 22, 2021, at 11:24 AM, rob snell via groups.io <snell.rob=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

In the 70’s several nighthawks nested on the tops of houses in the Stockade area of Schenectady. I remember admiring their beeps when I came back from bar hopping.

Rob
On May 22, 2021, at 8:10 AM, Alan <adfrench@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

Clear skies, Alan
Glenville

Weiskotten, Kurt

Yesterday, 5/21, I had several (half dozen - one or two at a time) Nighthawks at various times of the day, flying over the house in Belleview section of Schenectady, calling repeatedly.

Kurt Weiskotten, M.S.
d 518.898.9553

-----Original Message-----
From: hmbirds@groups.io <hmbirds@groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2021 8:11 AM
To: hmbirds@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hmbirds] Nighthawk

Clear skies, Alan
Glenville

Per Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other Nondiscrimination statutes, Greenman-Pedersen, Inc. and its related companies will not discriminate on the grounds of race, color or national origin in the selection and retention of subconsultants, including procurement of materials and leases of equipment. Greenman-Pedersen, Inc. and its related companies will ensure that minorities will be afforded full opportunity to submit proposals and will not be discriminated against in consideration for an award.

This communication and any attachments are intended only for the use of the individual or entity named as the addressee. It may contain information which is privileged and/or confidential under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or such recipient's employee or agent, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited and to notify the sender immediately.