Topics

Night Bird Call Mystery

Alan

Good Morning,

My wife and I have been out with a telescope for the past two nights. Both nights we've heard a bird calling (it moves around, so I'm pretty sure it's a bird). I'm not sure I can describe it well enough for an ID, but I could check  out suggestions by listening to them at the Cornell web site. After several hours of it over two nights, I think I'd recognize it.

It was a short call, sort of a gentle, slightly hoarse screech. Something like a "Pfweet." It was given once, with tens of seconds before the next. Occasionally it might be repeated after perhaps just 10 seconds. It was rather uniform with little inflection. It usually sounded a little hoarse or raspy, but sometimes it seemed a bit "cleaner." There were also were variations that were softer. But the word "monotonous" also came to mind fairly early on. I don't recall hearing this call before, but might not have paid a lot of attention if it didn't go on for so long.

The only other bird we heard was a distant Barred Owl.

Thanks for your help!

Clear skies, Alan
Glenville
(Semi-rural western part, with lots of woods and fields)

Shelley Gum

I know most of you are better at recognizing bird calls/songs than I am, but
I have resident catbirds who talk to me in the garden all day.  Recently I
am fairly certain that they are also "talking" at night; they seem to be
right out the window behind my chair where I read at night (they also
have a nest in the bushes out that window).

Cheers, Shelley in Poughkeepsie

[...]

Alan Mapes

Possibly a young owl, calling for the parents to feed it.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 9:09 AM Alan <adfrench@...> wrote:
[...]

Steve M. Chorvas

Try listening to a recording of a fledgling Great Horned Owl.  Your description, the time interval, and repetitiveness sound right for a young GHOW.

Steve

Steve Chorvas
Saugerties, NY

[...]

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies.

It was most definitely a fledgling Great Horned Owl's "begging" call. After hearing it for a total of about five hours over two nights it was immediately recognized from recordings on the web. My wife concurred. I do hear adult Great Horned Owls up here on the hill occasionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnS9v0O69_o

Always nice to have a mystery solved, rather than lingering in unknown status.

Clear skies, Alan