Long-tailed Duck, 22 Common Loons eBird Report - Saratoga Lake, Riley Cove, Apr 9, 2022

Ronald Harrower

´╗┐Saratoga Lake, Riley Cove, Saratoga, New York, US
Apr 9, 2022 6:29 PM - 7:16 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.3 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: After a v very rainy day, the sun finally broke out and I headed to Saratoga Lake to see what I might see. The low angle light picked up the waterfowl and gulls on the lake surface and made them much easier to see than usual. The distance out on the lake didn't make ID any easier though! I was treated to a relatively close Common Loon between Manning and Riley Coves. It dove a few times and came up with a crayfish on one of its dives. A large raft of Scaup were seemingly close to Snake Hill, but probably toward the middle. (Past experience has taught me that when you go to the other side in hopes of seeing waterfowl close to shore, they seem just as far the other direction) Also out a ways were at least 19 Common Loons in one raft. Other 'goodies' includes at least 8 Red-breasted Mergansers and at least 4 Long-tailed Ducks. There are times that I wish I could take an invisible, quiet boat our to see the birds more closely. Alas, such was not afforded to me, but a beautiful sunset and the "Golden Hour' lighting on the birds was
28 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 4
Mallard 6
Lesser Scaup 4 Closer in towards Riley Cove
Greater/Lesser Scaup 75
Long-tailed Duck 4
Bufflehead 12
Common Goldeneye 15