Hummingbirds Continue


Alan
 

Two female Ruby-throated Hummingbirds just at the back feeder, after a couple of hummingbird free days.

Clear skies, Alan
Glenville


Richard Guthrie
 

Good for you - but - do double check to be sure that they are indeed Ruby-throats. Look-alike westerners could show up around this time of autumn. And, except for some minor details, are very much like our familiar female Ruby-throats. 

Rich Guthrie

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 9:40 AM Alan <adfrench@...> wrote:
Two female Ruby-throated Hummingbirds just at the back feeder, after a
couple of hummingbird free days.

Clear skies, Alan
Glenville







--
Richard Guthrie


Marne Onderdonk
 

I too have at least one RT hummingbird hanging around my backyard as of this morning, a female (I have been also hosting a young male nicknamed “the Boss” since he chased everything away—bees, chipmunks, bigger birds—but did not see him this morning). 

I was recently away for 10 days and removed the feeders, but on return both RTs were still here so I put one feeder back up on Monday. Now I may be down to just the female RT. 

I kept the potted flowers out while I was away and will maintain them til frost. Two plants are vermillionaires which have multiple tubular orange flowers. The RTs LOVE these plants, feeding on them almost exclusively. 

I will keep an eye out for out-of-area visitors. In the meantime, should I be worried about the one RT overstaying?? 

Marne



On Sep 24, 2021, at 9:46 AM, Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie@...> wrote:


Good for you - but - do double check to be sure that they are indeed Ruby-throats. Look-alike westerners could show up around this time of autumn. And, except for some minor details, are very much like our familiar female Ruby-throats. 

Rich Guthrie

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 9:40 AM Alan <adfrench@...> wrote:
Two female Ruby-throated Hummingbirds just at the back feeder, after a
couple of hummingbird free days.

Clear skies, Alan
Glenville







--
Richard Guthrie


Richard Guthrie
 

Good job. I wouldn't worry about the lingering Ruby-throat. He/she should be ok for now. Some are just too happy to stick around. They are hardy and can cope with a little chill and be well on their way when the right time suits them. 

Rich Guthrie

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 10:58 AM Marne Onderdonk <marne37@...> wrote:
I too have at least one RT hummingbird hanging around my backyard as of this morning, a female (I have been also hosting a young male nicknamed “the Boss” since he chased everything away—bees, chipmunks, bigger birds—but did not see him this morning). 

I was recently away for 10 days and removed the feeders, but on return both RTs were still here so I put one feeder back up on Monday. Now I may be down to just the female RT. 

I kept the potted flowers out while I was away and will maintain them til frost. Two plants are vermillionaires which have multiple tubular orange flowers. The RTs LOVE these plants, feeding on them almost exclusively. 

I will keep an eye out for out-of-area visitors. In the meantime, should I be worried about the one RT overstaying?? 

Marne



On Sep 24, 2021, at 9:46 AM, Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie@...> wrote:


Good for you - but - do double check to be sure that they are indeed Ruby-throats. Look-alike westerners could show up around this time of autumn. And, except for some minor details, are very much like our familiar female Ruby-throats. 

Rich Guthrie

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 9:40 AM Alan <adfrench@...> wrote:
Two female Ruby-throated Hummingbirds just at the back feeder, after a
couple of hummingbird free days.

Clear skies, Alan
Glenville







--
Richard Guthrie



--
Richard Guthrie