Hummers, et al

Jeffrey Schoonmaker

I've had Ruby-throats daily for a few weeks.  First it was only females.  A few days ago a male finally visited the feeder.

Also hitting up the sweet water multiple times a day are at least 2 male Baltimore Orioles and a couple of Downies.  It's cool to watch the hummingbird approach, see the other birds there, and fly around but not landing on the other side of the feeder.  They often perch nearby waiting for the interloper to leave.  Do any of you have other birds that come to your hummingbird feeders?

One with a distinctly streaked throat showed up one day, obviously different from all the other plain white throated females I was often seeing.  Was it a first year bird?

Jeff

Ellen

We sometimes have chickadees at our hummingbird feeder.  They like to sip the water in the ant moat! 

We still have a lot of hummingbirds visiting the feeder and chasing each other around the perennial garden and yard.  Our last male was seen on August 30th.

Ellen P.

From: hmbirds@groups.io <hmbirds@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeffrey Schoonmaker
Sent: Monday, September 6, 2021 7:16 PM
To: HMBirds <hmbirds@groups.io>
Subject: [hmbirds] Hummers, et al

I've had Ruby-throats daily for a few weeks.  First it was only females.  A few days ago a male finally visited the feeder.

Also hitting up the sweet water multiple times a day are at least 2 male Baltimore Orioles and a couple of Downies.  It's cool to watch the hummingbird approach, see the other birds there, and fly around but not landing on the other side of the feeder.  They often perch nearby waiting for the interloper to leave.  Do any of you have other birds that come to your hummingbird feeders?

One with a distinctly streaked throat showed up one day, obviously different from all the other plain white throated females I was often seeing.  Was it a first year bird?

Jeff