Topics

Hoary redpoll, sad ending

Jeff Nadler

I have been thrilled to have a backyard hoary redpoll in my yard among the common redpoll. Finding one in my yard was amazing and I have shared several photos. Having it for 8 days out my door posing for me on snow and spruce branches was a birding miracle. I took hundreds of photos of her as she flew, ate, and interacted with common redpolls. I spent hours with her. Yesterday, a birding friend and I could not find her. Eventually, she hobbled out slowly from under a tree. Maybe that is why she seemed so puffy being ill. Something was clearly wrong. She moved slow. She stayed alone. I put her in a box and warmed her up inside and then released her. Initially seeming better, I found her later by my back door alone and not moving but breathing. Then she perished.  Having spent this time with her for 8 days out my back door makes the loss sad but a joy to observe her for so long.

Jeff Nadler
Burnt Hills