Hoary Redpoll behavior

Jeff Nadler

My backyard common redpoll count rose to over 50 yesterday afternoon, but the continued Hoary Redpoll was easy to pick out due to its pure white rump, unmarked undertail coverts, and small bill.  More so though was its behavior vs. the other birds.  As the common redpolls flew back and forth for cover with any disturbance, the Hoary always remained, alone at times.  She always fed on the ground and never on a feeder.  She stayed alone in my deck side spruce and not with the other birds. She was also aggressive at times while feeding close to common redpolls. All interesting behavior being observed from my deck.

Jeff Nadler
Saratoga County, Ballston