HMBC Field Trip summary- Five Rivers EEC 5/7

trwdsd

Birds 'n Breakfast morning was cool and a bit breezy, but not enough to affect auditory observations. Groups went out at 6am, 7am and 8am, and returned to the Five Rivers Visitors Center at 10:30am for refreshments and a compilation of the day list. Despite the somewhat early date (normally this is held in the second week of May) and less than ideal weather conditions, our collection of roughly forty birders observed a rather surprising 95 species.

Some notable birds included: a Virginia Rail at the Heron Pond; a Black-billed Cuckoo and a Scarlet Tanager calling on the western leg of the North Loop Trail; a fledgling Great Horned Owl perched along the Big Pine Trail; a White-crowned Sparrow seen singing just outside the Visitors Center building; and a Ruby-throated Hummingbird that briefly perched on a railing right outside our room during the compilation.

It was also a pretty good morning for wood-warblers, with a total of 18 species seen and heard. Highlights were Nashville, Magnolia, Cape May, Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green, Blackburnian, both expected Waterthrush species, and American Redstart.

Thanks to the many birders that turned out this morning, and to the volunteer group leaders. The participants were also generous in donating funds to the 'social committee' which provided food and drink. We hope to see you again in the near future, we have a full schedule of field trips over the next four weeks. We also extend our gratitude to Gina, Drew and the staff at Five Rivers for accommodating our needs on such a busy May morning.

Tom & Colleen Williams
Colonie