HMBC Field Trip reminders- Sat., May 28 and Sun., May 29

trwdsd

Saturday, May 28, FOX HILL RD. (Saratoga County; morning)

Coordinator: John Hershey 518-371-3114 hersheyj@...

On this trip we will travel through the remote forested and wetland areas along Desolation Lake Rd. and Fox Hill Rd. in Saratoga County. We will bird from the roadside, and explore areas recently acquired by New York State for conservation and recreation. Higher elevation breeders will be the main target. As many as 15 or more breeding warbler species are possible including Nashville, Canada, and Mourning Warbler. Other breeding species that have been seen in the past include American Bittern, Northern Goshawk, Broad-winged Hawk, and Swainson’s Thrush.

Because we will be birding from the road, it will be necessary to share vehicles and to limit the number of participants to 16. Waterproof footwear is recommended. Contact the coordinator for reservations, and other information.

Meet at the Saratoga County Airport parking lot off Geyser Rd. at 7:30 a.m.

Sunday, May 29, BEGINNING BIRDER WORKSHOP -- SARATOGA NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK AND BATTLEFIELD (Saratoga County; morning)

Coordinators: Gregg Recer and Cathy Graichen 518-330-4552 (GR, c) gregg.recer@...

Saratoga Battlefield is a great location to learn many of the common grassland and open-country breeding species of the region such as Bobolink, Eastern Meadowlark, Savannah and Field Sparrows, American Kestrel, Eastern Towhee, and several wood-warbler species. We will cover some of the park trails on foot, as well as bird from the one-way tour road, and can expect to spend the entire morning.

This trip will be geared toward novice birders, but all are welcome.

Meet at 8:00 a.m. in the parking lot near the park’s visitor center off SR 32.

Map:  https://hmbc.net/event-4567722