HMBC Field Trip reminders- Sat./Sun., Oct. 2nd & 3rd

trwdsd

Saturday, October 2, SARATOGA BATTLEFIELD (Saratoga County; morning)

Coordinator: Susan Beaudoin 518-796-7868 smbeaudoin1@...

This popular trip features beautiful foliage and a good chance to see hawks, woodpeckers, sparrows, bluebirds and late migrants as we walk the woods and grasslands of the battlefield. You never know what will turn up. There is no longer a fee for use of the trails.

Meet at 8:30 AM in the parking lot near the park's visitor center off SR 32. Full info and map at this link:   https://hmbc.net/event-4382835

Sunday, October 3, THE LITTLE SIT (Albany County; morning-afternoon)

Coordinators: Tom and Colleen Williams twill0526@...

The Big Sit! is an annual birding event held throughout the United States on the second weekend of October. Groups set up a 'circle' at a location from which many birds can be viewed and record their sightings for the day. Observers can leave the circle to stretch their legs and take walks, but only birds initially seen from the designated circle can be counted.

HMBC has participated in this event several times previously, but there have been obstacles to overcome. First and foremost, the annual calendar dates occur just after most migrant songbirds have passed through our area on the way to their wintering grounds. Secondly, the club offers annually-scheduled field trips on that weekend, and we didn't want to dilute participation by offering conflicting events.

Our solution this year is to use the Big Sit concept, but tailor it to local needs and timing. We have an open date on the field trip calendar on Sunday, October 3rd. The 'Little Sit' group will meet at the Albany Pine Bush Discovery Center, then make the short walk up the trail from the parking lot to the dune overlook area, which has an expansive view to the south and west, and is otherwise surrounded by pitch pine/scrub oak habitat. 10-12 chairs can comfortably fit at this spot. We'll start at 7:30am and observe until 12:30pm, or later if other people arrive and wish to continue. If you can't arrive at the start, feel free to drop in during the morning and join the group.

Meet at 7:30 a.m. at the Albany Pine Bush Discovery Center parking lot, 195 New Karner Rd. in Albany.  Map located at this link:  https://albanypinebush.org/corecode/uploads/document6/uploaded_pdfs/corecode/1-KarnerBarrens_14.pdf   Later arrivals- Take the yellow/blue trail from the Discovery Center up the hill to the spot marked 'the overlook' on the map.