HMBC Field Trip reminder- Counting Common Nighthawks 8/24-8/26

trwdsd

Tuesday, August 24 - Thursday, August 26, COUNTING COMMON NIGHTHAWKS (Albany County; evenings)

Coordinators: Tom and Colleen Williams twill0526@...

The Common Nighthawk is an aerial insectivore that feeds at dusk and dawn. It breeds throughout much of North America, although in decline as it is no longer observed during the summer in many urban and suburban areas. A long-distance migrant, Common Nighthawks travel in large flocks, on one of the longest migration routes of any North American bird. Most travel over land through Mexico and Central America to reach their wintering grounds in southern South America. Common Nighthawks are among the last migrants to return to their breeding grounds in spring. In the Capital Region, the bulk of southbound migration occurs from mid-August until early September with a peak around the end of August.

We will conduct our viewing from the parking lot at the Albany Pine Bush Discovery Center, located at 195 New Karner Rd. (Rt. 155) in Albany. Bring a chair and binoculars. We will begin each night at 6:00 p.m. Check the expected weather conditions, and visit this website before venturing over, in case of a cancellation.

Please note that Colleen and I will not be present for the Thursday session. We have arranged for other experienced observers to be there that evening.

Tom Williams
Colonie

trwdsd

On Tuesday evening, our group of approximately 15 observers counted 15 Common Nighthawks, all from 7:00pm- 8:00pm. A few made very close approaches at low altitude, offering very good looks. This evening, we tallied seven nighthawks, with the last two at 8:06pm. Those birds flew across the parking lot at virtually ground level, apparently looking for insects under the lights. We had some novice birders show up too, which was very refreshing and allowed us to point out resident birds to them during the lull between nighthawks. Tomorrow evening is the final night, keep an eye on the weather before heading over.

Tom Williams
Colonie