Halfmoon Town Park Woodcock Bonanza

Lindsey Duval

I just came from the Halfmoon Town Park where I was shocked to find at least SEVEN American Woodcocks peenting and displaying, along with good silhouette views of their flight dance, and one right on the edge of the drive with a little popping hiccup! There aren't even any eBird records for the site and I was not actually there specifically looking for them. I assumed they would have never liked the high daytime foot traffic.

The town park is an odd place with trails and sports fields and a playground surrounded by an alder/birch thicket and a farm field adjacent and I have found it decent birding year-round.

Lindsey D.