Topics

Great- horned Owl pair eBird Report - Zim Smith Trail, Oak Street to Underpass Road starting at Ballston Spa US-NY (42.9973,-73.8396), Jul 3, 2020

Ronald Harrower

Begin forwarded message:

From: ebird-checklist@...
Date: July 5, 2020 at 6:38:05 PM EDT
To: rharrower@...
Subject: eBird Report - Zim Smith Trail, Oak Street to Underpass Road starting at Ballston Spa US-NY (42.9973,-73.8396), Jul 3, 2020

Zim Smith Trail, Oak Street to Underpass Road starting at Ballston Spa US-NY (42.9973,-73.8396), Saratoga, New York, US
Jul 3, 2020 7:05 PM - 7:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     I went to the end of Zepko Road and parked near where the Zip Smith Trail parallels the railroad tracks. I walked to the beginning of the ZST and back, noting birds, but keeping to original purpose of collecting wildflowers for my art projects. My focus changed completely when I heard the unmistakable hoot of a Great-horned Owl and an answering call. I joined in the "conversation" and we all hooted for 20 minutes. The wind was blowing a bit as showers got started and stopped and some thunder was heard a ways off. One of the owls took off from a tall Pine tree in the forest about 1000 feet away across a large field. It flew to a tree about halfway up on the side of the field, seemingly checking me out. I got a dim view of hime or her just as it flew back to the woods. I was finally able to see the white throat patch and aimed my camera towards it. I was pleasantly surprised that I got something recognizable as an owl. I recorded the calls as well.It is cool that this spot is about a mile from my house, so I plan to go back. Very cool.
27 species

Mourning Dove  2
Great Horned Owl  2     One higher voice, one lower, suggesting male and female in that order. I thought I heard other owls calling farther away, but couldn't verify that. I will come back to this spot to "talk" and listen again.
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1