Granville CE Block

Susan

If you attempt to bird the Granville CE Priority Block, be sure to bring a road map with you and bring a copy of the block map. There is no internet/cell service out there, so no Google maps, no Atlas map, no phone  calls or messaging . Fortunately I was able to find the Mettawee Cemetery off of Rt 24. It’s a delightful place surrounded by mixed deciduous and evergreen woods. There were some mown paths behind the plots in the “J” section, a cornfield at the entrance and a small pond. Despite not arriving until 1:30, I had a nice assortment of birds. The first two I saw were phoebes going in and out of a nest. Great to start off with a confirmation.

We went up and down Rt 24, but never did see the Granville Airport shown on the map. I had written down the names of some other roads I wanted to try, but without GPS, gave up on finding them. It was also frustrating

not knowing which block I was in.

It’s a beautiful area and I’d recommend a trip out there as long as you come prepared with your own maps. would be fun to bird as long as you knew ahead of time in wn Rt 24, but never did see the Granville Airport shown on the map. I had written down the names of some other roads I wanted to try, but without GPS, gave up on finding them. It was also frustrating

not knowing which block I was in.

It’s a beautiful area and I’d recommend a trip out there as long as you come prepared with your own maps. would be fun to bird as long as you knew ahead of time

Susan Beaudoin

zach schwartz-weinstein

One way to deal with situations like this is to download mapping apps like Avenza or Google Earth onto your smartphone and then download the free atlas block map layers from the atlas website.  This lets you see block boundaries without a data connection, but in my experience they aren’t particularly reliable and will periodically forget that you’ve installed the layer.