Flycatchers on Display

David Halm

I had a wonderful comparative study of flycatchers in my yard this evening, with 4 species out foraging simultaneously. The Pewee flying out and returning to its high perch. The Phoebes staying low to the ground with tails wagging. The Least with constant wing flicking and whit calls. And what must have been a Willow/Alder, foraging low like the Phoebe but with no tail wagging, a faint eye ring, and buffy wing bars. Plus the Yellow-rumps got in on the act, with one even chasing the same bug as the Pewee!

David
Burnt Hills