eur wigeon - zim smith trail.

gregg_recer

currently viewing a nice bright male eur wigeon with a pair of American wigeon. zim smith trail about 0.5 west of coons crossing parking area, in the pond south of the trail. 

Gregg Recer
gregg_recer@...

--
gregg recer
malta NY

Richard Guthrie

Where is the Zim Smith trail?

Sent from my scary smart Phone

On Apr 9, 2021, at 9:29 AM, gregg_recer <gregg_recer@...> wrote:

currently viewing a nice bright male eur wigeon with a pair of American wigeon. zim smith trail about 0.5 west of coons crossing parking area, in the pond south of the trail. 

Gregg Recer
gregg_recer@...

--
gregg recer
malta NY

gregg_recer

sorry, zim smith is in Saratoga county. coons crossing access is off SR 67, malta 

Gregg Recer
gregg_recer@...

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021, 9:32 AM Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie@...> wrote:
Where is the Zim Smith trail?

Sent from my scary smart Phone

On Apr 9, 2021, at 9:29 AM, gregg_recer <gregg_recer@...> wrote:

Gregg Recer
gregg_recer@...

--
gregg recer
malta NY

--
gregg recer
malta NY

Alan Mapes

Still present at noon, far end of the long pond. With 4 green-winged teal. 

Alan Mapes
Saratoga 

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 9:29 AM gregg_recer <gregg_recer@...> wrote:

Gregg Recer
gregg_recer@...

--
gregg recer
malta NY

Alan Mapes

Also the two American wigeon with the Eurasian now. 

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 12:02 PM Alan Mapes via groups.io <alanmapes=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Alan Mapes
Saratoga 

Gregg Recer
gregg_recer@...

--
gregg recer
malta NY

gregg_recer

a few badly side-lit photos in this checklist:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S85153963

--
gregg recer
malta NY

Alan Mapes

Young bald eagle just circled over and put the three wigeon to flight. 

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 12:16 PM Alan Mapes via groups.io <alanmapes=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Also the two American wigeon with the Eurasian now. 

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 12:02 PM Alan Mapes via groups.io <alanmapes=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Alan Mapes
Saratoga 

Gregg Recer
gregg_recer@...

--
gregg recer
malta NY

zach schwartz-weinstein

The pale cheek and the extensive green around the eye in these photos suggest an American x Eurasian Hybrid to me.  Other shots would be good if folks can get them.

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 12:16 PM gregg_recer <gregg_recer@...> wrote:
a few badly side-lit photos in this checklist:

--
gregg recer
malta NY

--
Zach Schwartz-Weinstein
203 500 7774

gregg_recer

the paler cheeks weren't obvious in the field, but I was wondering about that possibility after going through the photos 
--
gregg recer
malta NY

Will Raup

I agree with Zach, the strong facial pattern looks like a perfect American Wigeon, except for the colors.

Very cool bird!

Will Raup
Glenmont, NY

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 4/9/21 12:38 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: hmbirds@groups.io
Subject: Re: [hmbirds] eur wigeon - zim smith trail.

the paler cheeks weren't obvious in the field, but I was wondering about that possibility after going through the photos 
--
gregg recer
malta NY

gregg_recer

I updated the checklist to reflect the apparent hybrid ID, and also added some more photos with somewhat different angles/lighting. The contrast in the face pattern does seem to be at least hinted at even when the lighting is less harsh, although the effect of harsh shadows contributing to it is hard to assess. ideally some photos with more direct lighting on the face pattern would be nice.

--
gregg recer
malta NY

gregg_recer

while not definitive, it's notable while skimming many of the male EUWI photos in ebird that a good portion do have some green behind the eye; usually it's pretty limited -- more of a smudge -- but a few examples show an elongated dark streak reaching back toward the nape. Contrast between the cheek and the rest of the head also varies a fair amount from nearly completely uniform to paler cheeks in some cases, and to much darker, almost black, cheeks and throat in others.

--
gregg recer
malta NY

Naomi Lloyd

FWIW my photos- my only experience with EUWI was a mile out at Montezuma so I leave the ID to better birders

Naomi

On Friday, April 9, 2021, 01:47:41 PM EDT, gregg_recer <gregg_recer@...> wrote:

while not definitive, it's notable while skimming many of the male EUWI photos in ebird that a good portion do have some green behind the eye; usually it's pretty limited -- more of a smudge -- but a few examples show an elongated dark streak reaching back toward the nape. Contrast between the cheek and the rest of the head also varies a fair amount from nearly completely uniform to paler cheeks in some cases, and to much darker, almost black, cheeks and throat in others.

--
gregg recer
malta NY