eur wigeon - zim smith trail.

gregg_recer

currently viewing a nice bright male eur wigeon with a pair of American wigeon. zim smith trail about 0.5 west of coons crossing parking area, in the pond south of the trail.

Gregg Recer
gregg_recer@...

--
gregg recer
malta NY

Richard Guthrie

Where is the Zim Smith trail?

Sent from my scary smart Phone

On Apr 9, 2021, at 9:29 AM, gregg_recer <gregg_recer@...> wrote:

currently viewing a nice bright male eur wigeon with a pair of American wigeon. zim smith trail about 0.5 west of coons crossing parking area, in the pond south of the trail.

Gregg Recer
gregg_recer@...

--
gregg recer
malta NY

gregg_recer

sorry, zim smith is in Saratoga county. coons crossing access is off SR 67, malta

Gregg Recer
gregg_recer@...

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021, 9:32 AM Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie@...> wrote:
Where is the Zim Smith trail?

Sent from my scary smart Phone

On Apr 9, 2021, at 9:29 AM, gregg_recer <gregg_recer@...> wrote:

currently viewing a nice bright male eur wigeon with a pair of American wigeon. zim smith trail about 0.5 west of coons crossing parking area, in the pond south of the trail.

Gregg Recer
gregg_recer@...

--
gregg recer
malta NY

--
gregg recer
malta NY

Alan Mapes

Still present at noon, far end of the long pond. With 4 green-winged teal.

Alan Mapes
Saratoga

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 9:29 AM gregg_recer <gregg_recer@...> wrote:
currently viewing a nice bright male eur wigeon with a pair of American wigeon. zim smith trail about 0.5 west of coons crossing parking area, in the pond south of the trail.

Gregg Recer
gregg_recer@...

--
gregg recer
malta NY

Alan Mapes

Also the two American wigeon with the Eurasian now.

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 12:02 PM Alan Mapes via groups.io <alanmapes=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Still present at noon, far end of the long pond. With 4 green-winged teal.

Alan Mapes
Saratoga

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 9:29 AM gregg_recer <gregg_recer@...> wrote:
currently viewing a nice bright male eur wigeon with a pair of American wigeon. zim smith trail about 0.5 west of coons crossing parking area, in the pond south of the trail.

Gregg Recer
gregg_recer@...

--
gregg recer
malta NY

gregg_recer

a few badly side-lit photos in this checklist:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S85153963

--
gregg recer
malta NY

Alan Mapes

Young bald eagle just circled over and put the three wigeon to flight.

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 12:16 PM Alan Mapes via groups.io <alanmapes=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Also the two American wigeon with the Eurasian now.

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 12:02 PM Alan Mapes via groups.io <alanmapes=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Still present at noon, far end of the long pond. With 4 green-winged teal.

Alan Mapes
Saratoga

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 9:29 AM gregg_recer <gregg_recer@...> wrote:
currently viewing a nice bright male eur wigeon with a pair of American wigeon. zim smith trail about 0.5 west of coons crossing parking area, in the pond south of the trail.

Gregg Recer
gregg_recer@...

--
gregg recer
malta NY

zach schwartz-weinstein

The pale cheek and the extensive green around the eye in these photos suggest an American x Eurasian Hybrid to me.  Other shots would be good if folks can get them.

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 12:16 PM gregg_recer <gregg_recer@...> wrote:
a few badly side-lit photos in this checklist:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S85153963

--
gregg recer
malta NY

gregg_recer

the paler cheeks weren't obvious in the field, but I was wondering about that possibility after going through the photos
--
gregg recer
malta NY

Will Raup

I agree with Zach, the strong facial pattern looks like a perfect American Wigeon, except for the colors.

Very cool bird!

Will Raup
Glenmont, NY