Eastern Bluebirds and Red Bellied Woodpeckers in a ruckus.

suzy nealon

Early this morning, on the Betar Byway in South Glens Falls, I saw a Red Bellied Woodpecker building a nest in the hole of an old tree.As he was leaving his home,  who should swoop in but a family of Eastern Bluebirds! A fellow birder and I watched while the families argued, the Woodpeckers making a dash to the opening, only to be cut off by the Bluebirds. And, the Bluebirds won! I always thought Bluebirds were calm and accommodating, but I was wrong.