Common Gallinules, Knox

John Kent

This morning I went to Knox Wetland in Knox, Albany County. I had seen an eBird report of a Common Gallinule there from a couple of days ago, so I was especially listening for that species. In the first hour I was there, I heard one or two single-note vocalizations, not even enough to be sure of what I was hearing. Finally I heard a definitive longer call after over an hour. After two hours, two of them swam out of the reeds, associating closely, so I assume it's a pair. Also present were at least two American Bitterns, several Virginia Rails and Green Herons, Marsh Wren, House Wren, Brown Thrasher, Pine Warbler, Yellow Warblers, Osprey, and Bald Eagle.

John Kent
Selkirk