Chukars

Robert S Pastel

I note the conversation regarding pheasants as stocked game birds. Are chukars also stocked in NYS as game birds?

Robert S. Pastel

Tristan Lowery

I believe Ring-necked Pheasants are the only gamebird species restocked annually by the Department of Environmental Conservation (about 30,000 birds a year, I think). But Chukars and other species may be released by private hunting clubs.

Tristan Lowery
Albany, N.Y.

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 10:34 AM Robert S Pastel <rspastel@...> wrote:
I note the conversation regarding pheasants as stocked game birds.  Are chukars also stocked in NYS as game birds?

Robert S. Pastel

Scott Varney

There is at least one private local release in the Northumberland area.  I have photos from 2 different years in approximately the same location.

Scott Varney
Salem,  NY

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021, 10:42 AM Tristan Lowery <tristanlowery@...> wrote:
I believe Ring-necked Pheasants are the only gamebird species restocked annually by the Department of Environmental Conservation (about 30,000 birds a year, I think). But Chukars and other species may be released by private hunting clubs.

Tristan Lowery
Albany, N.Y.

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 10:34 AM Robert S Pastel <rspastel@...> wrote:
I note the conversation regarding pheasants as stocked game birds.  Are chukars also stocked in NYS as game birds?

Robert S. Pastel

Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval@...>

Some of the Chukars out running around Saratoga and Washington Counties are escape artists who belong to farmers (except one who farmer who, according to his neighbor, just forgets to close a hatch, repeatedly).

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021, 10:34 AM Robert S Pastel <rspastel@...> wrote:
I note the conversation regarding pheasants as stocked game birds.  Are chukars also stocked in NYS as game birds?

Robert S. Pastel

zach schwartz-weinstein

There was one running around the Lark street area in downtown Albany a couple of years ago.

In non-exotic news, I had 34 species before AM this morning at five rivers.  Highlights were a male
Rusty Blackbird at the Skeeter Bowl, a FOY Field Sparrow by the Vlomankill Pavilion, and a singing Brown Creeper (Larch Lane).  Yesterday morning I had 30 species there, but the highlight was the pair of North American River Otters (see photo.)