Cedar Waxwings eating snow: eBird Report - Flight Lock Rd., Waterford boat launch, Jan 18, 2022

Ronald Harrower

´╗┐Flight Lock Rd., Waterford boat launch, Saratoga, New York, US
Jan 18, 2022 12:30 PM - 1:07 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: I drove the length of Flight Locks Rd in hopes of seeing a variety of gulls and waterfowl at the boat launch at the end, only to discover that it was frozen solid. One Red-tailed Hawk was hovering like a Harrier, using the strong wind to stay in place. One the way back, I found a lively patch of birds near the entrance to the first lock of the 'flight" Junco was the bird that caught my eye initially, but a small flock of Cedar Waxwings 'eating/drinking' snow captured my attention for a while. The photos 'describe' it best. In the immediate area were American Tree and White-throated Sparrows, Blue Jays, White-breasted Nuthatch, Eastern Bluebird, American Robin, and a Red-tailed Hawk, just hanging out in lower branches of a tree giving the "Western movie' hawk call.
13 species

Red-tailed Hawk 2
Downy Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 4