Black-bellied Plover, Cohoes Flats- 8/9

trwdsd

This morning Zach S-W and I observed a Black-bellied Plover fairly close to shore on the Cohoes side of the Flats. It later relocated to the far side of the water along Second Island, where it was foraging with Killdeer. It had a very pale head color, some retained black patches on the underside, and showed black 'armpits' during short flights.

Tom Williams
Colonie

zach schwartz-weinstein

I’ll post some photos of the BBPL to eBird later.  It was an interesting-looking adult female (I think) that had lost most of its dark plumage.

In addition to the BBPL this morning, I found a semipalmated plover and several least sandpipers.  Yesterday a semipalmated sandpiper was present in a small flock of leasts, as were four lesser yellowlegs.  Caspian Terns have been moving through the region over the last few days, and we should be on the lookout for Black Tern as well.