Banded Sharpie

scumming@...

I can't seem to escape Sharpies. Photographed a brazen little Sharpie yesterday on Eichybush Road in Stuyvesant. Such colors and patterns! If you zoom in, you can see one (very impressive) talon, but you can also see he's banded on that leg. How often do these guys get banded -- what are the odds of that?

Also had a Northern Harrier floating around nearby.

Sean Cummings
Stuyvesant

zach schwartz-weinstein

Hi Sean, this is a Merlin.  The eyes are dark and the wings are far too long for an accipiter.  Also the white tail bands are thin.