Adult Iceland Gull at Crescent Power Plant

Julie Hart

Daniel and I watched a beautiful adult Iceland Gull (kumlieni) at the Crescent Power Plant in Cohoes this afternoon. We’ve been stopping at various places along the river for a couple weekends now looking for rare gulls and finally lucked out. Most of the gulls were farther down the river on the solid ice, but this was one of the few gulls hanging out right in front of the power plant. In addition to the white wings, pale gray back, and “cute” face with small bill, this bird had very faint gray markings on the wing tips, indicating it was a Kumlien’s (the typical subspecies in this area). Photos on eBird: https://ebird.org/checklist/S80230879

Julie & Daniel