LBB id

James Elbrecht

I was checking the level in my LP tanks this morning and seem to have fledged a couple youngsters.   From the speed at which they took off out of the nest, I think they'll be OK.

I'm pretty sure I've ID'ed these birds before, but nothing is coming to mind even with the help of allaboutbirds and merlin.

All I saw was a flash of brown with bright yellow splashes on their necks.     I'm pretty sure the bird I've been trying to spot out the kitchen window that has constantly 'trilled' for a week or two is a parent.    No real song, just trill, trill, trill......

There was a single egg left in the (mostly moss) nest that was beige with brown spots.

Any thoughts?   Thanks

Larry & Penny Alden

Looks like a Carolina wren nest. Although the description of the call and bird don’t particularly match Carolina wren, the location and look of the nest do point to that species.

Here’s the page from Peterson’s nest guide.

image0.jpeg
Larry Alden

On Jul 28, 2022, at 7:54 AM, James Elbrecht <elbrecht@...> wrote:

I was checking the level in my LP tanks this morning and seem to have fledged a couple youngsters.   From the speed at which they took off out of the nest, I think they'll be OK.

I'm pretty sure I've ID'ed these birds before, but nothing is coming to mind even with the help of allaboutbirds and merlin.

All I saw was a flash of brown with bright yellow splashes on their necks.     I'm pretty sure the bird I've been trying to spot out the kitchen window that has constantly 'trilled' for a week or two is a parent.    No real song, just trill, trill, trill......

There was a single egg left in the (mostly moss) nest that was beige with brown spots.

Any thoughts?   Thanks

James Elbrecht

Wasn't a Carolina wren.   We've had 3 Carolina Wrens nest in houses with cameras this year.    All 3 very different nests- though one looked a bit like this.    One was all twigs.    But these birds had a bright splash of yellow-- and the call which *might* be a parent isn't a Carolina Wren.

Hmm-- the egg looks like one, two.  Could I have imagined the yellow?  I *was* startled.

Thanks,

On 7/28/2022 8:48 AM, Larry & Penny Alden wrote:

[...]

Ellen

Eastern Phoebe?  Their nests can include moss, and the fledglings often have a yellow wash, based on the ones we’ve had.

Ellen

[...]

The twig nest sounds like it would have been a house wren. They will fill available locations (especially nest boxes) with twigs then choose one for a nest, which is built into the top of the twig pile. I’m not sure if Carolina wrens also do that but they might.

I’m not entirely clear on the location, but the nest in question seems to have been built under the cover to your propane tank, which would make it a “nest cavity.”  Eliminating non cavity-nesting species considerably narrows your list of suspects.

Larry

On Jul 28, 2022, at 9:06 AM, James Elbrecht <elbrecht@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve M. Chorvas

Your nest photo did not come through in my email, and it does not show on the hmbirds groups website, not sure why.  Based on your description, I agree with Larry's assessment.  The time of the year and the presence of moss as a major component of the nest indicates Carolina Wren, no other realistic options.  The stick nests in nest boxes on your trail cameras are House Wrens.  The egg description is right for wrens, phoebes have unmarked bright white eggs.

Your impression of a "flash of brown with bright yellow" can be explained by the bright yellow gapes of nestling Carolina Wrens, especially if their mouths were open when they flushed.  Here is one of my photos of Carolina Wren nestlings.

Steve
Saugerties, NY

CAWR Nest 0051EM.jpg

[...]

birderlarry

I’ve heard Carolina Wren’s trill call - it’s nothing like their typical 3-syllable “tea-kettle” song.

On Jul 28, 2022, at 9:53 AM, Ellen <lnmp@...> wrote:

Eastern Phoebe?  Their nests can include moss, and the fledglings often have a yellow wash, based on the ones we’ve had.

Ellen

Wasn't a Carolina wren.   We've had 3 Carolina Wrens nest in houses with cameras this year.    All 3 very different nests- though one looked a bit like this.    One was all twigs.    But these birds had a bright splash of yellow-- and the call which *might* be a parent isn't a Carolina Wren.

Hmm-- the egg looks like one, two.  Could I have imagined the yellow?  I *was* startled.

Thanks,

On 7/28/2022 8:48 AM, Larry & Penny Alden wrote:

Looks like a Carolina wren nest. Although the description of the call and bird don’t particularly match Carolina wren, the location and look of the nest do point to that species.

Here’s the page from Peterson’s nest guide.

image001.jpg

Larry Alden

On Jul 28, 2022, at 7:54 AM, James Elbrecht <elbrecht@...> wrote:

I was checking the level in my LP tanks this morning and seem to have fledged a couple youngsters.   From the speed at which they took off out of the nest, I think they'll be OK.

I'm pretty sure I've ID'ed these birds before, but nothing is coming to mind even with the help of allaboutbirds and merlin.

All I saw was a flash of brown with bright yellow splashes on their necks.     I'm pretty sure the bird I've been trying to spot out the kitchen window that has constantly 'trilled' for a week or two is a parent.    No real song, just trill, trill, trill......

There was a single egg left in the (mostly moss) nest that was beige with brown spots.

Any thoughts?   Thanks

Alan Mapes

This looks to me like a typical Carolina wren nest. We’ve had them nest in hanging pots on our porch, and these materials look like exactly what they use. The location fits their MO also.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 4:14 PM birderlarry via groups.io <birderlarry=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Shelley Gum

My thanks to all of you have inadvertently solved my problem of what I thought of as a "burble" repeated 3 times which I heard several mornings when I was out in my yard early.  I had never heard it before and it was a mystery.  When you described it as a trill call I knew you had solved my problem.  I have just found a video associated with the carolina wren which replicates it perfectly.  And I do have Carolina Wrens in my yard and nesting somewhere which I haven't found.  Thank you all.

Shelley Gum (Poughkeepsie)

[...]

Well, I've been educated!  Thanks all.

Last year I had a Carolina Wren nest in my 'Chickadee' house.

So this year, when a wren showed up at one of my bluebird houses, I didn't look that closely- and just noted the 'twiggy' nest.    Reviewing the tapes, it was a House Wren, not a Carolina.    Same with the second one in my other bluebird house. [2 different designs- one is the old square box, the other is the other newer style- which had bluebirds last year]    The nests looked quite different- one mostly twigs with a few feathers and a snakeskin-- The other much finer twigs/grasses and tons of feathers- and a snakeskin.

My Chickadee house had a Carolina build a nest she had to dive down into- and I think she broke the egg and abandoned the nest. [looking back- it might have been about the same time the 'propane nest' got built.]

Deb sent me this link which cinches it.-- the yellow wasn't completely a figment of my adrenalin fueled imagination! :-)

https://feederwatch.org/community/participant-photo/fledgling-carolina-wren/

Thanks again, everyone!