snowy and short-eared owls, POSSIBLE Sandhill Crane Fort Edward this afternoon

scottjstoner

This afternoon, we had two Snowy Owls along or near Plum Rd, and as it got darker, 4 Short-eared Owls by the Little Theater on Plum Rd, in the Fort Edward grasslands. We also had 1 male Northern Harrier at the Little Theater earlier in the afternoon.

While waiting for the short-ears at the Little Theater, we heard just a single vocalization that sounded like a Sandhill Crane. We saw nothing flying over or on the ground, but there is a cornfield nearby, on the other side of Plum, and the area is fairly close to the Hudson River.  Absent any further observation, we are not reporting it on ebird at this time, but offer this heads-up so that other birders can keep an eye and an ear out when they are in that area. -Scott Stoner and Denise Hackert-Stoner, Loudonville NY