Sandhill Cranes in Halfmoon

jhershey2

The 2 Sandhill Cranes in Halfmoon that were reported yesterday were seen again this morning around 7:15 by myself and several other birders including Ron, Julie, and Dan. They were fairly well-hidden behind the trees standing along the bank of the river but could be seen from Beach Rd. about halfway between Krause's and Klam'R Tavern.  They were feeding, preening, and even briefly dancing like cranes do.  Despite trees in the camera's way and low light I got a recognizable photo of one.

John H.

Naomi Lloyd

An interesting note from Audubon New York pertaining to the four Sandhill Cranes seen in our area yesterday:

"On the first day of December, over 300 migrating Sandhill Cranes were spotted by Montezuma Audubon Center staff out in the Finger Lakes region – a record high!
These large, heavy bodied, long-necked birds, known for their loud trumpeting calls, have only recently taken up residence in New York. In 2003, the first Sandhill Crane nest in the state was found in the Montezuma Wetlands Complex, and today, approximately six pairs may be nesting there. "

Montezuma Audubon Center adds:
"Now is a great time to see Sandhill Cranes at the Montezuma Wetlands Complex! Last year we saw the cranes late into December 2020 and even into January 2021. It appears that as long as the ground isn't too frozen or covered in snow, and they have the ability to forage, the cranes will stick around into the winter months."

Naomi