This week's destination: 10/28

Naomi Lloyd

Hey Thursday birders! Looks like once again we'll pull one good day out of the week. This is the time of year for unexpected migrants to pop up, like our Nelson's Sparrow last year. There have been sightings of Nelsons and LeConte's Sparrows in the past week, to say nothing of the locally very uncommon White-eyed Vireos this weekend. Bird every bird!

Let's meet at Lions Park off Rosendale Rd in Niskayuna at 8:00am.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir//Lions+Park/@42.7790709,-73.8238696,16z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x89de0d44840ee243:0x80a6c8e2a8e08a90!2m2!1d-73.8242966!2d42.7769317!3e0?hl=en&authuser=0

Extra notes:
The Saratoga CBC is traditionally the earliest in our area, held on the first Thursday of count season to suck in the Thursday birders. ;-) This year's date is December 16. Contact Jean Holcomb for details. jeanh46@...

Golden Eagles are beginning to migrate through the area. They've been spotted at Franklin Mountain and in Ulster County. Check every Turkey Vulture for white patches at the wrist, and consider a visit to a hawkwatch spot on a day with steady northwest winds.

As winter approaches, we normally switch to carpooling expeditions. Consider how you feel about spending a morning in a car with (I presume) vaccinated friends and let me know your thoughts. I spent some unmasked time two weeks ago with fully-vaxxed friends and we managed to pass a miserable cold all around.

Naomi