Using Spotting Scope from a Kayak?

havoc_cat@...

Does anyone have any experience using a spotting scope from a kayak?  I have a Celestron 80mm which weighs 4-5 pounds which I think would be too heavy for camera clamps that attach to the side of a kayak.  I was thinking of using it to get closeups of loon chicks without getting too close.

If anyone is interested I have a youtube channel and have posted some scope videos of Great Blue Heron nests.  This one includes a feeding:  https://youtu.be/Xf-741Dx2Eg

zach schwartz-weinstein

I would think that even on very still water, a scope would be pretty much useless from any kind of boat.

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 4:06 PM <havoc_cat@...> wrote:
Does anyone have any experience using a spotting scope from a kayak?  I have a Celestron 80mm which weighs 4-5 pounds which I think would be too heavy for camera clamps that attach to the side of a kayak.  I was thinking of using it to get closeups of loon chicks without getting too close.

If anyone is interested I have a youtube channel and have posted some scope videos of Great Blue Heron nests.  This one includes a feeding:  https://youtu.be/Xf-741Dx2Eg

--
Zach Schwartz-Weinstein
203 500 7774

kernscot

I think there is too much movement. See if it works for you. I always worried about getting things wet or dropping them overboard.

Nancy Kern

From: hmbirds@groups.io <hmbirds@groups.io> on behalf of havoc_cat@... <havoc_cat@...>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2021 4:06 PM
To: hmbirds@groups.io <hmbirds@groups.io>
Subject: [hmbirds] Using Spotting Scope from a Kayak?

gregg_recer

the one idea I can think of that could conceivably make it workable would be to use a shoulder-stock mount. This might make it ok for viewing (under very still conditions and maybe only under the lowest power), but if you're looking to digiscope, I'd guess it still would be too challenging.
--
gregg recer
malta NY

scottjstoner

I concur with others; do not think it would be practicable at all other than possibly as Gregg suggested. I've done quite a bit of photography from a canoe, hand-holding a camera with long telephoto, but that has the benefit of vibration reduction (image stabilization). I appreciate that you are trying to photograph from a distance to avoid distubance, but I don't think it would work that well, sorry. - Scott

-----Original Message-----
To: hmbirds@groups.io
Sent: Fri, Sep 24, 2021 5:40 pm
Subject: Re: [hmbirds] Using Spotting Scope from a Kayak?

the one idea I can think of that could conceivably make it workable would be to use a shoulder-stock mount. This might make it ok for viewing (under very still conditions and maybe only under the lowest power), but if you're looking to digiscope, I'd guess it still would be too challenging.
--
gregg recer
malta NY

Robert Lewis <rfermat@...>

I would think that even on very still water, a scope would be pretty much useless from any kind of boat.
I recall that quite a few years ago I was on one of the ferries on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Those are fairly large boats and the water was very calm.  I wanted to scope the sandbars that we were passing.  I set up my scope, but there was just too much vibration from the engine.  Then I got an idea.  I took some bread, balled up a couple slices, and put that under each tripod leg.  It worked!  The baffle created damped out almost all the vibration. 

Bob Lewis

On Friday, September 24, 2021, 04:10:07 PM EDT, zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw@...> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 4:06 PM <havoc_cat@...> wrote:

--
Zach Schwartz-Weinstein
203 500 7774