Using Spotting Scope from a Kayak?

havoc_cat@...

Does anyone have any experience using a spotting scope from a kayak?  I have a Celestron 80mm which weighs 4-5 pounds which I think would be too heavy for camera clamps that attach to the side of a kayak.  I was thinking of using it to get closeups of loon chicks without getting too close.

If anyone is interested I have a youtube channel and have posted some scope videos of Great Blue Heron nests.  This one includes a feeding:  https://youtu.be/Xf-741Dx2Eg

zach schwartz-weinstein

I would think that even on very still water, a scope would be pretty much useless from any kind of boat.

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 4:06 PM <havoc_cat@...> wrote:
Does anyone have any experience using a spotting scope from a kayak?  I have a Celestron 80mm which weighs 4-5 pounds which I think would be too heavy for camera clamps that attach to the side of a kayak.  I was thinking of using it to get closeups of loon chicks without getting too close.

If anyone is interested I have a youtube channel and have posted some scope videos of Great Blue Heron nests.  This one includes a feeding:  https://youtu.be/Xf-741Dx2Eg

kernscot

I think there is too much movement. See if it works for you. I always worried about getting things wet or dropping them overboard.

Nancy Kern