Pine Grosbeaks, Redpolls eBird Report - Neighborhoods near Goode Road, David's Lane and Jenkins Road, Feb 10, 2021

David Halm

Ron,

Thanks so much for the Pine Grosbeak tip! After 3 days of trying (I live in Burnt Hills a few miles up Goode St) I finally lucked out and encountered the flock this morning right where you described it. I, too, only saw the one red adult male, but I may have been too overwhelmed by the spectacle to look more closely. A lifer for me. Thanks again!

David H
Burnt Hills

jhershey2

I posted 7 pics of some of the birds Ron mentions from February 10.  First one is the Hoary Redpoll.  Click right for 6 more of Pine Grosbeaks and Common Redpolls.  Three great irruptive finches!  https://www.flickr.com/photos/85391626@N07/50942556901/in/dateposted-public/

John H.

Ronald Harrower

Neighborhoods near Goode Road, David's Lane and Jenkins Road, Saratoga, New York, US
Feb 10, 2021 8:15 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: John and I went to Jeff's house in the neighborhood within parameters listed. As it is a private home and some of the birds seen can only be seen from the backyard, I don't want to offer an experience that others in the birding community can't have. I can tell where many suitable crabapples are currently and if observant where a current flock of about 25 Pine Grosbeaks can be found. In the general intersections of Jenkins, Woodsode and Katherine Rds, one can see a lot of crabapples. The Pine Grosbeaks are traveling freely between them. The Hoary and Common Redpolls are on the private property.
22 species

Mourning Dove 4
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 8
American Crow 3
Black-capped Chickadee 7
Tufted Titmouse 4
Red-breasted Nuthatch 5
White-breasted Nuthatch 4
European Starling 41
Eastern Bluebird 1
American Robin 2
Cedar Waxwing 15 in crabapple tree in friend's yard
Pine Grosbeak 25 At least. They were going from crabapple tree to another to another in the Jenkins/Woodhill and Katherine Rds area. True to form they would go to the top of Pine Trees and rest for a while before returning. Only one adult male which was beautifi in the brief moment that I saw it. The rest were females or immature males. They were amazingly tame. I was very cold after waiting outside to see Hoary Redpoll earlier. so stayed in the car. I had great shots, my friends were too close at one point when three birds landed on the road and gritted. Magical time.
Common Redpoll 35
Hoary Redpoll 1 This was the bird that I went to look for in the snow on the 9th and missed (mostly due to worry about heavy snow, so didn't stay long. I did see it today, but did not get a photos. Our host described its actions over his 4 days of observations. It finally came out on a branch as the host said it would. Alas, I was on the other side of a small bush. Great view of the bird with my eyes, but couldn't get around bush and ask the other two friends to move before bird went back in hidden spot. I saw the white rump, no streaks, short bill and overall white look. It was also by itself
Pine Siskin 3
American Goldfinch 2
Dark-eyed Junco 18
White-throated Sparrow 4